Mar 2, 2008

Feb 08 Update - Lacking a witty title. Suggestions?

So it’s that time of year. At the end of February, I usually go through something I call Post Super Bowl Depression Disorder (PSBDD). It is generally a bleak time of year for me, knowing that I will be without football for the next six months, with the small exceptions of the scouting combine and the NFL draft. PSBDD is most often accompanied by an illness of varying degrees of severity depending on how emotionally invested I am in the teams playing in the Super Bowl.

But here I am, it’s almost a full three weeks after the NFL Pro Bowl and I am barely emotionally scathed, let alone sick, mostly because I hardly cared about the playoffs or the Super Bowl this year: I even missed watching 3 playoff games! The Eagles didn’t make the playoffs and I hate the Patriots more than any other NFL team. I also really dislike the Giants because they are in the NFC East with the Eagles. So by the time the Super Bowl rolled around, it’s not like I was rooting for the Giants to win, heaven forbid. I just REALLY, REALLY wanted the Patriots to loose. And they did. And that part was sweet.

So the Football TV (the tiny, archaic, bunny-eared TV that’s set up in my room from August – February of every year so I don’t bother my roommates with the constant football watching) has gone back into the closet where it will sit until preseason. Although, by next year, I hope to be in my own place where I can watch NFL Channel on my big TV all I want without having to fork over the remote to someone who would prefer to watch the Disney Channel, thankyouverymuch.

It’s been a great time for friendships and relationships in general. My dear friend and fellow Little Trucker, Tristan came down from Boston to visit the newest addition to her family, nephew Landon. Her mom Pam (who we LOVE) treated the new family, Courtney and me to dinner at our favorite restaurant: Bob Evans. Oh how we love the Bob Evans! It was a fantastic Little Trucker reunion, minus Hayley. But, trust us; you were missed every second, HT!

Almost two years ago, I was completely bummed because my amazing friends were moving on to bigger and better things, but I am glad to report that sometimes coming home is the best thing. One of my very good friends, Sam, has graduated Valedictorian of his class at the Culinary Institute of America and has returned to D.C.! We’re proud of him and his accomplishments, including having one of his own recipes published in a book, but even more thrilled that he’s come home and can continue to hone his cookie recipes on us.

Also, this month, I have developed a new vendetta against drag queens. Drag Queens, being the fabulously temperamental creatures that they are, can be prone to fits of hysteria, bouts of extreme dramatization and a penchant for throwing sequined heels and crying into their feather boas. (Trust me; the irony that I'm the one saying this is not lost on me.) The problem is this: they’ve cancelled Drag Queen Bingo at Club Chaos; with no word from the management on what happened or when/if they will be hosting bingo in the future. They may have even closed the club all together. We can’t tell. But, I can tell you I am distraught over this. And plan to throw a fit about it as soon as I find the right thing to wear.

Despite all promises to the contrary, I ended up going to Medieval Times again this month. My friend, Bob, had a birthday at the end of January and ALL he wanted to do was go to Medieval Times. Seriously. You would think that eight adults could think of other things to do in Washington D.C for birthdays. But no. We were in the green knight section who, in our Medieval Times, happens to be the bad knight. As campy and ridiculous as it is, we had a great time cheering on evil and mocking the 8 year-olds at their birthday parties. Bob’s brother Billy, a union organizer in Pittsburgh (i.e. someone you don’t want to mess with when it comes to pay-equity), almost started a massive serving wench riot when he tried to get them all to unionize. I totally wish I was kidding, but I’m not. I swear, I am never doing that again.

I do have a huge piece of news that’s very exciting, so I saved it for the very end. I’m sorry to those of you who saw the news here on the blog and have been left hanging for more info, so here it is: I got a new job!! (Any and all other job details have been deleted for anonymity - you'll need to email me for more info.)

I don’t think that it has entirely hit me yet that I am leaving my job. I think my boss and coworkers, including myself, are all still in shock. I couldn’t have imagined I would be willing to walk away from it so quickly. I finish here on March 27 and start the new job on April 7. I’ll take a week off to catch up on sleep, read, sleep, maybe watch some movies, and then sleep – all to feel totally rested for the new job.

This is very, very big for me. If you know me at all, and I am assuming that the six of you actually reading this far into the post do, you know that major life change is never an easy thing for me. I have noticed that this has been a pattern in my life: Because change is so hard for me, I have to be geared up for it slowly, and then it doesn’t happen. So I wait and wait for this thing to happen that I am all geared up for and then when I am least expecting it, it hits at breakneck speed. This has occurred a lot in my life and this new job was no exception. I wasn’t even actively looking for a new job! To be honest, it kind of freaks me out, but God hasn’t steered me wrong yet, so I’m just going to have to learn to deal. (I.E. not be such a control freak!)

Overall, life is good and I am blessed. I hope you are all doing well.

1 comment:

The Spencers said...

Congrats on the new job! Hope things go well for you. I hate change too, but after having our girls I'm kind of getting used to it.....I really had no choice!!! Change is good! I'm happy for you.

Janae