Mar 21, 2008

61,320 hours ago

I remember what I was doing exactly seven years ago at this very hour (give or take). I bet that none of you can say that. Unless you were giving birth just then. Mothers tend to remember that stuff. Obviously none of that is happening for me.

I was getting on a plane 61,320 hours ago. It was seven years ago today that I boarded a plane in Sacramento, CA to fly to SLC at the conclusion of my mission. (Photo on right - March 21, 2001)
I rarely talk about my mission with anyone (first month in the field on the left.) It was so long ago and to be honest, I kinda hated my mission. It was tough, I had a lot of challenges that just sucked - I just hated a lot of things about the whole thing. If it wasn't for the people in Sacramento (the ward members, the people we taught, my companions (most of them), my roommates, etc), I would have quit it all my third day in the field.
But those people...those are the people that made every crappy day, every rejection, every screaming crazy who answered their door and spit in our faces, every bad companion, every annoying zone leader and every tough, miserable experience actually worth it. I loved these people and still love them to this day.
There are far, FAR too many people to mention all of them or recount all the stories, but I want to share a few things and people that I have been thinking about today (and please forgive the photos, especially if you are in them. They are at least 7 years old and no one looks good on their mission.) :)
Erica and Adam Starks - We started teaching Erica (Adam was a member) a few months into my mission and it took well over a year, and a few miracles, til she was baptized the day before I went home. I think there are three reasons why the Lord needed me to serve in Sacramento. They are one of those reasons.
Annukka Brooke - I don't talk about my mission often, but when I do, chances are, that I will mention my evil, evil trainer from hell. Once, when I was on exchanges in another ward in Stockton, I heard someone yell my name. I was totally shocked when I turned around to see my old college roommate, Annukka. She had just gotten married and they had moved there the week before. I didn't know she got married and she didn't know I went on a mission. From that point on, she was a huge boon to me and friend. She did her best to go on exchanges with me weekly to get away from the evil one and helped me count down the hours until I could be transfered from that devil trainer. Talk about tender mercies from the Lord.
Norm and Linda - One of the greatest teaching experiences I ever had. I LOVED these people. Linda was amazing and was baptized about 6 weeks after we met. Norm was a grumpy old man and questioned everything we said, but treated me like a granddaughter. It's hard to explain to people who have never served missions that you REALLY love the people you teach. Some people think we were just trying to sell something. But we loved people and knew we were teaching the truth. Norm died a few years ago. Norm, I hope you're reading this now, you old coot. I just want to say 'I told you so.' :)
Sarah Wagstaff and Janae Paxman - After leaving my evil, evil trainer, I was seriously warped - probably even depressed. I was then transferred into a companionship with 'Wags and Pax.' Sarah's unfailing kindness and generosity really bouyed my spirits. She always made me feel loved. And Janae's humor and insane, INSANE driving skills (i.e. flooding the car by tearing through mud holes on the way to a dinner) taught me that a mission could be FUN. She was an amazing teacher and story teller. I never had more fun on my mission than with those two.
The Johnson and Faulconer families - These two families were endlessly kind and gracious to me while I served in their ward. Even now, we still keep in touch and I am lucky to count them as friends.
Bonnie Murray - I got to live with Bonnie twice on the mission. Always kind, she is totally crazy (in the good way), and has such infectious laugh.
Susan Peterson and Kristi Riggs - They had made me a scrapbook of the inside jokes and good times that we had together when we were teaching Kristi. THEY made ME a scrapbook. No one had ever done that before and it means the world to me. I once made a birthday cake and cut it into 10 parts to teach the principle of tithing. How dorky was that? But they loved me for it anyway.
Grace Rich - I still love Rich for many, many things, (including our infamous mudfight), but especially for reenacting the entire scene of "Seize the Day" from the Newsies. I had the inkling before, but that's when I KNEW for sure that I loved that girl. Man, I wish I had that on tape. (Rich, if have some free time, I'll PAY you to send me a video of that. Seriously.)
The Eickmeyers - I can't even begin to explain how much I love the Eickmeyers. I met them just a few months into my mission. Instantly, they became some of the best friends I have ever had. Evan and Stephanie have loved me as family and have continued to treat me as such even now. Their daughter, Elizabeth, is my psuedo-niece. I could not have asked for better people in my life. They are also one of the reasons why I was meant to serve in Sacramento.
Bolormaa - How is it possible to love someone so much when you can't even pronounce their name? Odkhuu Bolormaa was my companion for 10 months. I am telling you now, since most of you will not find out for yourselves, but 10 months is a LONG time to spend 24 hours a day with a little Mongolian. Newly married couples don't even spend that much time together. She probably put up with me so well because she may not have understood much of what I was saying and blocked it out. She is like a sister to me and few people made me laugh the way she did. I have never met someone who loved chocolate the way she did. Whenever we had some, she would make sure to touch or lick every piece so I wouldn't touch it. We both cried and cried when I was transferred. I still can't say her name right and she's OK with that. She was the other reason I needed to serve in Sac-Town.
James Wilhelmsen and Camille Hansen - I loved them both for different things, but they share something I admire them a lot for - being humble enough to take the hits that they did. They both had a rough go of it, but man, I admired them for just trying.
Kelli Grimshaw - I really had a hard time my last 6 weeks. As much as I wanted to start something in a new area, I just didn't have it in me anymore and other things were happening that were out of my control and beyond my recognition. For the last transfer before I went home, Kelli Grimshaw became an additional companion to myself and Sis. Nair. Kelli didn't know me very well and was thrown into a difficult situation with two already dueling companions and a huge area. And we all know what an intimidating jackass I can be. (I readily admit this and I see you all nodding your heads.) To this day, I am grateful to Kelli for putting up with my crap my last 6 weeks.
Whew - so that's some of it - the highs and the lows. At least this giaganitc post will save me some money on therapy. I always say that my mission was a million dollar experience I wouldn't pay a dime to do again. Today, I just might. Actually, no, I wouldn't. But it was nice to reminice, huh?

5 comments:

jonutz gang said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Oh man how I wouldn't do that again either. Yet so many wonderful memories. I miss you and the great great time we had to gether with that crazy sis. Paxman. Congrats on your new place it looks amazing. You're awesome.

The Spencers said...

I had so much fun reading your post. And why am I the CRAZY one!! ha ha ha! Of course you had to put the worse picture of me in there!! I have to admit that I absolutely loved serving with you. I've told my family and friends our crazy "dress" mishap! (do you remember I accidently grabbed the corner of your dress when I put on my backpack, hence your dress on my shoulder)! I still laugh everytime I remember it. The look on your face and what you said, "oh look I have knee highs on." Too funny! Anyways loved reading your post. I think one mission is plenty. Lots of good memories but there were diffently some hard times. But I met you and Wags so it was worth it! Hope your doing good!

Mycket said...

There were good times! It was kind of cathartic for me to write that because it was good to remember how much good came from the mish.
I TOTALLY forgot about the dress incident. I am crying now, i'm lauhging so hard. I can't believe I said that - standing there in front of that family (that had teenage boys in it, as I remember.)

Mycket said...

oh and how do you hate that picture, Pax? It's so iconic! Remember you plopped a big old thing of hair dye on the top of my head when I was on the phone? Yeah, that looked good for a long time.....just like this photo. :P

The Spencers said...

Oh my gosh....I totally forgot about that. Oops! I guess saying sorry now is too late, eh?! ha ha! Yes we did have some good times. Like going to gift wrap Wags car, but we locked ourselves out of our car! Yeah now your making me go down memory lane! I was telling Richard stories (I forgot about the car one) last night and we were laughing. Yep I still like to hit the big puddles (but so does Richard so we make a good pair)...even with my kidlets with me!!! Thanks for the memories!