When I was 15, and in the throws of The Birthday Depression that happened every year until the year I turned 28*, my mom said to me: "Nothing makes you feel better like serving other people." (Mom, do you remember that? It's still very clear, we were walking up the front steps of the house on Macon St.) That has stuck with me.
So while recently browsing the blog of a musician (who has been on heavy rotation on my iPod as I am trying to lift myself from failing and depressing spirits over the past 3 weeks), I found a very cool website: Donors Choose. Remembering my mom's words, this site appealed to me.
I love the idea of being able to help teachers, especially since I knocked them in my last large rant, and I really like the idea that the projects are pre-approved and the money is accounted for. I can't help it, it's the fiscally responsible Republican in me.
I found this project for a school here in DC: http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=134119
And I thought "$215! They only need $215 to develop their art skills (something really needed) and create something beautiful for their school in a very poor area. I bet people I know have some change floating around that will add up to $215."
So this is what I propose: Donate a few dollars. It doesn't have to be much. Just what you can spare. Then, send this link to everyone you know. Send it to people you only kind-of know. Send it to people to whom you only forward emails in the hopes that it will bring you seven years of good luck if you send it to seven other people. Encourage them to donate a few bucks and then send it on to the people they know.
So how about it folks? I think we can do it. I think that if we combine our forces for good (instead of the evil or whatever else you've been doing with your forces), we can make a difference in the lives of more than 250 3-5th graders, who will learn to make the world around them a little better. Not only for themselves, but for kids who will literally follow their footsteps. Between all of us, I bet we can multi-handedly fund this project ourselves.
I've sent in some monies. How can you help?
P.S. *Story for another time - perhaps around my birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment