I have been a member of the LDS faith for 30 years. I have taken a lot of hits (figuratively and literally) regarding my faith. I served a mission, which is hard enough without having stuff thrown at you, people spitting in your face, chased by dogs or getting sucker punched by a man (Yeah). I have been asked by teachers to stand up in front of my high school history class and defend my religious beliefs. I had another teacher feel my head and ask if I had horns (Because Yes, Stupid Public School Teacher*, that's what happens when you join a church; your DNA mutates.) I have taken slings and barbs from co-workers and bosses in the name of 'good fun' and I am sure that my career has suffered because I refuse to hang out at the bars night after night. But of all of that, it's the things that I have seen and heard lately that have really been downright awful. Mostly because I am supposed to be on a level of smart, educated people, but I see less evidence of that every day.
My point is this: I think that when it comes to tolerance, the country is digressing, not progressing. Particularly in the area of religious tolerance and ESPECIALLY in the political arena. And it's my own party's fault. We brought religion into the ring and now we have to deal with it.
But, I am so sick of the Republican party's pandering to the Evangelical base. This is my party, too. How come they don't want me to join because of my religion?? My friend Drew said: "The white Dems of Iowa showed they weren't racist and voted for Obama, the women Dems of Iowa showed they weren't sexist and didn't automatically vote for Hillary, the evangelical Repubs of Iowa showed......." What? They showed that they are still ignorant of the tenants of a major religion and are easily swayed by lies, mythology and a preacher shouting damnation and hell for anyone who doesn't believe in HIS God. Which, by the way, is the same God that I believe in. The only difference is that I believe that God loves everyone. Even men who pardon rapists and violent criminal offenders for just saying that they believe in God, too.
Now, I am worried about the upcoming Michigan primary. This is a state where Mitt's dad was governor. And now, Mike Huckabee is gaining in the polls, the slimy charlatan that he is. Has Michigan, all of the sudden, decided it's NOT OK to have a Mormon in a major government position? Or how come no one is freaking out that Harry Reid is Mormon? He's the most powerful man in the Senate! How come no one is worried that he's talking to the prophet?? WHY? Because he's a Democrat and he doesn't have to answer to a large base of fevered zealots...oh wait.... I'm only kind of kidding, but you get my point.
I am a religious person and a Republican, but contrary to those stereotypes, I DO NOT want to elect someone who has to live their life shouting their beliefs from the rooftops. No matter the party or religion. Not only because it's against the law and Constitution to base someone's electability on religion, but because it should be evident in their actions, not their rhetoric.
The actions of Mike Huckabee have shown me enough and his rhetoric even more. Basically, if it came down to it and Mike Huckabee got the Republican nomination, I would write in a third party candidate (probably Mitt, of course) and then change my affiliation. NO political party should be controlled by one group of people. Wake up, Republicans! Most of us are on your side! So quit treating us Mormons like bastard children and embrace us for what we can bring to the American political landscape.
To sum up my confused rant, I summon the help of beloved Mormon and Jeopardy! star, Ken Jennings, who said it MUCH better than I ever could (and he can probably only do that because he's now a millionaire and doesn't have to work for a living, so he has more time to be well thought-out and witty) in this New York Daily News Editorial. (Also from my rich mouthpiece: http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=414)
And to Mitt, I say (think Jack Dawson in the pivotal final moments of 'Titanic'): "Don't you give up, Mitt Romney! I just gave you more money. Use it to buy interns more Diet Coke. Or a few yard signs. But don't you give up!"
*No offense to my beloved public school-teaching friends out there. You know I have all the love in the world for you. But you know the kind of idiot I am talking about; you have to work with them.
And to Mitt, I say (think Jack Dawson in the pivotal final moments of 'Titanic'): "Don't you give up, Mitt Romney! I just gave you more money. Use it to buy interns more Diet Coke. Or a few yard signs. But don't you give up!"
*No offense to my beloved public school-teaching friends out there. You know I have all the love in the world for you. But you know the kind of idiot I am talking about; you have to work with them.
2 comments:
AMEN! You made me cry Carren, even if I am a public school teacher (but not one of THOSE)
Amen Sister!!!!!!
Post a Comment