Feb 15, 2008

I got a bag of dirt for Valentines Day

So "Jasper", despite all bets to the contrary, has been sticking to his plan of good behavior for about six weeks now. He's been very attentive and kind and a good friend. Since that's all I wanted from him to begin with, I am pretty happy to have him back in my life right now. You people may feel otherwise right now, but he's working on it, so we'll see how that goes.

On Wednesday the 13th, he kept IM'ing me, asking how my day was going and if anything interesting had happened. Since it was a very busy, but generally typical day, I was getting kind of annoyed by this. I talk to the guy every single freaking day. He knows exactly what happens in my day and unless something big enough to be on the national news happens (like the Republicans staging a mass walk-out from the House Floor during a vote, which they DID do on the 14th), nothing overly exciting was was going on and I was tired of telling him so.

After joking about what preparations were needed to celebrate Valentines Day (which we also consider our one year 'anniversary'), he finally admitted that he had sent tulips (my favorite!) to my office and was worried that I hadn't said anything yet. The website showed that they had been delivered earlier in the day, but I obviously not yet received them.


Here's the problem: we don't get mail sent directly to us at work. ALL mail, including overnight Fed-ex packages from 1-800 Flowers, goes to a processing facility a few miles away. All letters and packages are opened, checked for anthrax and other lethal bacteria and then sent through radiation processing, thus killing all living organisms. THEN it is sent to the individual offices, sometimes taking up to a week to be delivered. Not the best place in the world to send flowers.

I thought this was pretty funny. Here he was, trying to make an effort and be sweet and it was all going to pot. We spent the next two days trying to track down the package to see if we can save it from being nuked. But to no avail. :( He was upset that at some point in the future a bunch of dead flowers were going to show up. I was grateful for the gesture, regardless of the state they would be in - flowers for Valentines Day! What girl doesn't want that??

Finally, on the 15th, the box showed up. Only it was a really small box, so I was confused. Inside was this basket containing a bag of dirt. He hadn't read the description very well and did not, in fact, send me flowers, but a bulb garden. So this bag of dirt may or may not contain live tulip bulbs.
When I got home, I replanted the bulbs in new potting soil and am praying that something starts to grow.

I found this whole situation totally hilarious and am happy that he just tried. Though he is pretty upset about it, still.
The good news is that he did send a replacement bouquet to my apartment. Let this be a lesson to all of you who are planning on sending flowers to me. :)

3 comments:

jonutz gang said...

Ok Carren that has to be the funniest Valentine story I have ever heard in my life. I am so glad you got that dirt. It's a classic you will never forget. You know like coal on Christmas. Have you been a bad girl:)? J/J

The Spencers said...

Oh my gosh, you just made my day! Ijust died laughing. That was way too funny! Now you can tell people that your guy gave you dirt for Valentines...ha ha ha!! Sorry I'm still laughing!!

Mycket said...

Wagstaff- You and I are totally on the same wavelength! I told him that for his birthday, I would give him coal. He might have to wait a while, but eventually it would be a worthwhile gift of diamonds!