Jun 29, 2009

Man Down

Way back in 1995, I went through a Scottish phase. My cousin had been called on a mission there and I decided it was the coolest place in the world. Now that I have been there, I can truthfully say I wasn't far off. During this phase, I had been looking for a Celtic ring. Keep in mind that this was WAY before the interwebs were fully up and functional, so it was hard to search for such a thing and I never ended up with one.

Fast forward 4 years, I was on my mission in Sacramento, in the throws of the worst part of my life ever with my insane companion torturing me 24 hours a day for three months. We went one day to Old Towne Sacramento (a place one wouldn't really want to go when normal, but it was all we had as missionaries) and visiting a shop, I found the perfect Celtic ring and bought it.

I have worn this ring on my middle finger of the right hand every day since. For 10 years, I have put a lot of emotional value in this ring. Everytime things get bad, I look at this ring, rub it with my thumb and remember that things will get better. It always gets better. I will get transferred from that evil companion. Things will start to get better in my family. I'll get some money or be able to get by or help someone or pain will be eased somehow. I will find a new place to live. I will get better. I will get a new job. Whatever the frustration, I have had this ring to remind me that things ALWAYS get better.
Well, I lost the ring this weekend in my car. I was putting on lotion and went to put the ring back on and it flipped somewhere and I can't find it. I searched for almost an hour before it became too dark to see. Tonight, I am getting out my vaccuum and am going to filter the dregs as I slowly take apart the car. I am so bummed.
I know that it's just an object and doesn't really matter in the long run of things. But, I have worn this ring EVERY DAY for 10 years. EVERY day. It's an emotional loss. Also, physically, my middle finger is now about 6 grams lighter, causing all sort of problems with my muscle control and accidental lude gestures.

In the meantime, I have rush ordered a replacement to put on my finger, so I am not accidentally flipping people off anymore. Accidentally.

3 comments:

Malissa said...

Oooooooooooooo. So sorry. Rings are so easy to lose. Hopefully you'll find it vacuuming.

Maursupial said...

I'm so sorry. I really liked that ring of yours. I know you'll find it. You just HAVE to.

Hayley's Comment said...

Look at it this way. Your car will be really clean! PS-Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have a temporary replacement...it's just temporary...keep chanting that to yourself until you find it. I'll pray for it too!