I really like movies. I am not particularly snobbish about my tastes like only watching arthouse. I try to avoid the all-out dumb movies or horror movies or movies staring singers wanting to be actors, or vice versa, or American Idol contestants. Or marketed to 12 year old girls.
I am not sure I can pick out a top five favorite movie list. I think it depends on my mood. But I do have certain films that I really like watching over and over. Whenever I have to work on a big project or deep clean my house or I am even scrapbooking, I get out a pile of movies that I have seen a billion times and watch them one after the other while working.
It's comforting to have them on, kind of like having a dear friend tell the same story over and over. It's comforting. You know it, you love it. And most importantly, you don't have to pay full attention to it to enjoy it. There are some you might expect: Steel Magnolias, Empire Records, While You Were Sleeping, Zoolander, Amalie, Godford Park, The entire Bourne Supremecy series, every 80s teen angst genre movie ever, The Harry Potters, Keeping the Faith... They all are relatively normal and generally acceptable. However, my favorite to repeat are the ones you might find a little odd:
5) Stranger Than Fiction - Odd that I would have a movie on here starring Will Ferrell. But I love this movie. It is quirky and interesting and unique and touching. I think Will Ferrell was amazing. Favorite Line: "I brought you flours."
4) Four Brothers - A dramatic departure from the expected, as it is super violent. Mark Wahlberg is awesome in everything he does (except for The Big Hit) and there are some great scenes. And I hear talk of a sequel. Favorite line: "The po-pos is here!"
3) Newsies - Christian Bale. Nothing else needs to be said, but for the sake of argument, I will also mention the awesome songs. "Seize the Day" - hello! Pure genius. I LOVE movie and watch it way more than I should. Favorite Song: "King of New York"
2) Dogfight - No one else likes this movie. I have tried. I fell in love with it when I was 16 and I can't figure out for the life of me why no one else likes it. I guess I really connected with Lilly Taylor's character. Plus River Phoenix is not so hard on the eyes. "If I were a man, I would beat you into a pulp."
1) That Thing You Do - I have seen this more times than any other movie. Ever. Even more than 'Newsies.' I saw TTYD 6 times in the theater. When it was available to rent, I rented it (for weeks, I think), recorded the entire soundtrack onto audio tapes (dialogue and everything) and listened to the whole thing over and over. Then I bought the VHS tape the second it was available and watched it over and over. (Can you say Obsessive Personality Disorder?) And all of this ridiculousness happened not when I was a silly 13yr old girl. Oh, no. I was a COLLEGE STUDENT. True Story: I almost named this blog: "Capt'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters." I guess there is still time... Favorite line: "Stubenville?"
11 comments:
As long as you keep watching new movies, I think you'll be OK.
--GB
I like those entire series boxes of DVDs. Whoever invented those was a genius!
Sorry you're still laid up. Isn't it weird how "bed rest" sounds SOO good until you actually have to do it?
Funny - the one and only time I ever watched THAT THING YOU DO was with you.
Wow -- what an eclectic mix!
I watched dogfight way back in the day and liked it. Lilly Taylor is one of my favorites and River Phoenix...ahhh, I loved River Phoenix. (*sniff, sniff*)
Great list! I hope you are back on your two left feet soon.
Because of you, I LOVE That Thing You Do. I believe I saw it two or three times in the theater with you and I love it to little bits and pieces. I often use the line,
"There I go off to write the hit song 'Alone in my Principles'" and no one knows what I'm talking about.
Dad - Thanks to Netflix streaming video, I have all the new movies I could possibly want
Gledwood - I agree and who are you?
Susan - bedrest is the worst!
Mel - I am so glad you at least made it through the movie! Many people I have tried to convert have not. Two left feet: funny because it's true
Maurs - hhaaa! I have that line! And I love that you use it!
TTYD is possibly the greatest movie out there. Fun and fancy free. It feels like that line.
So when you first posted this, I was trying to decide if you were still in Decatur when we did that Newsies dance thing for the stake. (The only person I knew was there was Maris because I got to swing her around like a crazy dance star.) Then someone started a Decatur First Ward group on facebook and people (mostly Uhlers) keep on putting all of these pictures up there. You're in a million of them, including one from that great dance festival. (Of course, you'll never see them, as you've sworn off facebook.) Anyway, every time you watch Newsies that dance thing has to come to your mind when they sing Seize the Day. Right? Tell me I'm not alone.
Oh yes, I was in that dance and it is seared into my memory like a bad dream. It taints the viewing of the otherwise fine film. Although Mike McCoy was FUN to dance with.
I am the same way about cleaning and doing odd jobs with something on, however I'm usually catching up on the Bachelor or Grey's Anatomy. Hulu will be the down fall of my ever finishing a job quickly.
And you know my feelings about Newsies. I can't think about it without thinking about you in our place with Shalini Shangita Niar and Satearn. And I'm pretty sure I listened to Seize the Day like a week ago.
Hulu has pretty much destroyed my chance of ever finishing a job quickly bc I'm like you. I love watching something, but my closet addiction is the Bachelor and Grey's Anatomy.
And you know my feelings about Newsies. I cannot think about it without being transported to our days with Shalini Shangita Nair and Satearn. And I'm pretty sure I listed to the sound track like a week ago and sung my heart out!
Post a Comment