Dec 7, 2009

Top 5: Food Obsessions 2009

1) Crystal Light. I LOVE this stuff. LOVE IT. I carry it with me on vacations. Ever since I am off the Diet Coke (Yes, you read that right! I have kicked the Two-Diet-Coke-A-Day habit!), I have been drinking more water, which let's face it, is booooooooring. I like this on the lighter side, so I put just one packet in my 1L water bottle and can easily reach my 3L a day goal. I like the White Grape, Peach Raspberry, Cherry Pomegranate, Pomegranate Lemonade and the old standby, Raspberry Ice. Plus, now instead of stocking the office fridge with free Diet Coke, now they cupboards are stocked with free Crystal Light. I love my job.

2) 100 Calorie anything. I realize that this is a complete waste of money, as the 100 calorie packs are infinitely more expensive, but as I am trying to eat better, I am also learning portion control. These little expensive boxes of whatever help. I am just starting to get to the point where I can buy more cost effective, larger items and weigh out pre-portioned sandwich bags. But for now, I am still buying anything that says "100 Calories." My favorites are Baked Cheetos and Fudge Grahams. Not entirely healthy, but the right amounts every now and again are A-OK!

3) Taro root Chips - Odd. But oh so yummy. About the same health value as regular potato chips, so I don't eat them often, but I think they taste better. If only they came in low-fat 100 calorie packs. Plus they're pretty.....I already said "odd."

4) Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt. I buy these in BULK. I mean, like 40 at a time. I have a whole yogurt shelf in my fridge (below the Cheese drawer.) Low in calories, no fat and high protein, I think these are DELICIOUS. I have at least two a day. I love the strawberry banana the most. I am not going to get osteoporosis; I am going to get calcium deposits.

5) Larabars. Who ever would have thought one of my favorite things to eat would be unsweetened, Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan AND kosher? NOT I, said the chubby girl. These are the best for a healthy breakfast.

OK, so I didn't mean to make this a healthy post (who likes that? Yuck!) But try eating some of this stuff! You won't feel like you're eating healthy food at all, which makes it the best!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about trying those Larabars since they're gluten-free and all. Good to know that they are also tasty!

Mycket said...

They are very good! I like the Coconut Cream, Tropical Fruit tart, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Gingersnap and Chocolate Coconut.
I love cherries, but find the Cherry Pie too tart.

Hayley's Comment said...

I'm obsessed as well with the 100 calorie packs!

Melissa said...

100-calorie packs leave me feeling lonely and disappointed...like I should be satisfied because I just ate "oreos" but I'm not because I didn't: I ate 100-calorie pack's version of oreos and I'm here to tell you they are not the same! Not the same!!

I'm glad you enjoy them, though. :) My mom is also addicted to Crystal Light and has those little packets floating around everywhere.

Congrats on kicking the diet coke addiction! That's HUGE! I recently did the same (with the occassional relapse). My new addiction is carbonated water. It has the bite without the chemical crap. And the Kroger brand is $1.79 for 12 cans. Woot! BUT, I just learned there's more BPA in aluminum cans than in plastic bottles. ~sigh~ I'm back to the drawing board.

Mycket said...

Hey, tree hugger friend, What is BPA??

Melissa said...

It's the yucky stuff in plastic water bottles that hit the press earlier this year..it leaches into the water and has been connected to all kinds of conditions from diabetes to cancer. Did you ever see articles telling you to ditch the plastic bottles and carry water in stainless steel containers like a Kleen Kanteen or a SIGG water bottle? It wasn't just because of landfill issues -- it's because of the BPA. Apparently it's in our canned foods and aluminum cans, too. It's pretty freaky stuff.

Can provide more info if interested.

Luv,
Your Tree Hugger Friend.