Dec 9, 2009

Bad Mormon Manners: Familiarity Breeds Contempt

See, here is the thing: I love my church. I believe strongly in the teachings of the gospel and I served a "mish." I have no problems there. It's the CULTURE of people in the church that pisses the hell outta me.

Because we do so many things socially and we focus a lot on community, so we tend to gather in groups a lot. That usually leads to trouble when there are so many of us, with so many different personalities, in one place. The ultimate problem is that in these large groups of people with similar backgrounds, standards of Basic. Human. Decency. become lax and people behave like idiots and flat-out JERKS with no apology or recognition of remorse because "Hey, we're all Mormon. So you should overlook these egregious acts."

There is no way in hell that these offenders would behave this way in front of their bosses, co-workers or even strangers. Yet, they have no qualms in treating other people badly simply because we go to the same church? WELL NO MORE. WE (me and one of my BFFs who shall remain relatively nameless, but has a sense of propriety as sharp as a knife slicing through a tin can and then through a tomato) HAVE HAD IT. I am going to start posting examples of Bad Mormon Behavior. We're speaking up and allowing you to have your say as well. If you would like us to post your story of appalling Mormon social behaviors, email your story to us. BadMormonManners at gmail dot com. We'll determine if your story is appalling enough to be posted...anonymously, of course. *Note: We WILL NOT tolerate Anti-Mormon-Doctrine rants. This is not the place for it. Take that anger somewhere else.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dear friend and great lady who happend to be a true Latter-day Saint, taught by example that gracious responses--even in the face of obnoxious and embarassing social situations--could radiate positive influence. She couldn't make people change, but she could show them a better way by carefully chosing the words of her response. Everyone felt better being around her because of her genuine loving, non-judgemental demeanor. Something to think about . . .

Melissa said...

How interesting! I can't wait for the stories! I really don't remember that many incidents of Mormons Behaving Badly. Well, except for that one time that one of the mom-women in my church crossed both of her fingers, hunched up her shoulders, squished up her face and told me she was praying for me...to find a husband. Nice. Thanks.

Mycket said...

Anon/DAD -
I know that you are trying to teach me "a lesson." It is one thing to be gracious in the face of adversity (always encouraged)and in the moment and quite another to share frustrations for the sake of entertainment.
Perhaps everyone will learn something.

Hayley's Comment said...

I have my own frustrations! I welcome this. And can we start with the whole time thing! It is so rude to start late it shows a lack of disrespect. It Romania where I served my "mish" we started on time and by golly after five months the members realized how serious we were and starting coming on time! Whoah what a concept.

Tristan Takos said...

Love the description of your friend and co-conspirator. She sounds great. I'd like to meet her.

Mycket said...

TRISTAN HAS COMMENTED! TRISTAN HAS COMMENTED! See! I told you she was a real person

stargazer said...

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is continually growing and becoming better known throughout the world. Although there will always be those who stereotype the Church and its members in a negative way, most people think of us as honest, helpful, and hardworking... Love is the power that initiates friendship, tolerance, civility, and respect. It is the source that overcomes divisiveness and hate. Love is the fire that warms our lives with unparalleled joy and divine hope. Love should be our walk and our talk...Let us be known as a people who love God with all our heart, soul, and mind and who love our neighbor as ourselves. When we understand and practice these two great commandments in our families, in our wards and branches, in our nations, and in our daily lives, we will begin to understand what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus the Christ.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
October General Conference 2009

stargazer said...

And in this season of "good well to all men" John 8:7

Melissa said...

One of my favorite things about my Mormon friends is their SENSE OF HUMOR.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mycket said...

Hey mom and dad - if you're going to lecture me, wait until I get home, not on my blog.

Melissa said...

I hope I did not offend you, Mycket's parents! I didn't realize who was posting. I KNOW you have a sense of humor -- look at who you raised!

Jillian said...

From my old Bishop's wife in my home family ward. At the beginning of Sunday School she noticed that I was back after having graduated and proclaimed, "Well Jill, you certainly are fairly cute. How did you make it out of BYU single?

I may have responded with, "Well from the looks of the room and knowing that many of this wards couples met at BYU, I'd say that looks have nothing to do with it."

Sometimes spitting vinegar is fun!

Melissa said...

Oh, Jillian, I am so jealous! I wish I'd had the presence of mind to respond so appropriately! I think I just sputtered out a "thank you" and ran screaming...on the inside.

Mycket said...

I heart you Jillian.