Aug 5, 2009

Mine Eyes Hath Seen The Glory

Faithful readers, I can feel my power and strength returning to me. Slowly, but surely. As college and pro football training camps begin, I can feel myself returning to a state of excitement and happiness that can only be recognized as Football Season.

As football coverage turns from off-season, off-field arrests and ridiculousness to real coverage about things like breathlessly waited preseason uniform updates, last minute punk holdouts (aka rookies) and the nuances of Day 1 coaching techniques, I feel whole again. A feeling I haven't felt for over 6 months. The sounds of crashing helmets and colliding pads drown out every other noise. I start to hold my breath whenever I see scraps of yellow or red fabric on the ground and flashes of green fields with white hash marks send me into dizzy spells.

This feeling usually kicks into high gear at the end of October, when games tend to get less sloppy, front runners begin to emerge and Joe Buck finishes with MLB and returns to me and the NFL.

I'm really looking forward to this season, well really, like every other season. But let's focus for a moment on the Cougars. My S-I-L, L, just posted this on her blog. I literally got chills and teared up.



1) How cool are the Salt Flats? So cool.
2) I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL until the season opener in Dallas against Oklahoma. This game alone is going to be a whole other series of posts, but sufficeth to say, I CANNOT WAIT!
3) Max Hall is still not on my Christmas Card list. He has a long way to go before I will stop booing him (deep in my heart and never publically).
4) I am a lot more realistic about the Cougars season. While I do not blame Bronco, I think the last year's whole "Quest for Perfection" really set me up for disappoinment. I know that this is going to be tough. I believe in my boys and will cheer my heart out, but am going to try to be a lot less suicidal if they lose this season. Of course, if we end up losing to OU, I am going to throw this reasoned pledge to myself out the window.

Rise and Shout!

2 comments:

Annukka said...

You are too funny!!!

We are starting to feel the excitment of the upcoming football season in our household also; Chris just commented last night that he sometimes wishes he lived in Denver so he could go to the TRAINING CAMP!!! Then he added the games also...

Me, I stick with ice hockey... But even then GOOOO COUGARS!!! :)

L said...

I'm honored you've taken something from my blog. :)
It fits really nicely on your site. I need to figure out how to fix that on mine.