Aug 26, 2009

The Needs-to-Grow-Up Texter


Here's a hint for those technologically savvy guys out there who are currently wielding your cell phone or PDA like cupids' bow and arrow in the war of romance: Don't be an idiot and blow it because you type messages like you're 12.

Guys (and really, this goes for the girls, too): You should never, ever get comfortable with using text slang and abbreviations when communicating via electronic type (Or even worse, verbally.)

I really can't be the only woman in the world that finds correct grammar, complete sentences and spell check a turn on. When just getting to know someone, use of this slang is a deal breaker for me. I don't find you clever and hip. I now find you immature and daft. If you were trying to woo (yes, that's right, I said woo) a woman, why would you type something barely understandable and mostly incoherent? What are you trying to say? I am not worth the extra vowels? Grow up. I am moving on.

You're a smart guy and you have some things going for you otherwise you wouldn't have caught someone's interest. So try texting in complete sentences. Use capitalization in the correct places. And don't you dare substitute numbers for letters. If you can't do it, a phone call is better.

Guys, whether you're a friend, a date, or a possible boyfriend, I don't know a single girl that wants to associate with men who function on the level of tweens. Girls, the next time he sends you a "TTY L8ER" or "C U 2mrw," Don't reward his behavior by responding.

Footnote: I admit that occasionally this might be OK once you've secured a long term (and I am talking engaged or married here) relationship, but I do mean OCCASIONALLY.

5 comments:

ejnorton said...

Amen! I recently was looking to buy something on Craig's List and when the seller responded to my inquiry with slang, I immediately refused to buy the item from him--even if it meant buying the item at a slightly higher price from someone else. I didn't even respond back to him, I was so irritated by it. Where is the professionalism these days??

stargazer said...

1954 news article that Dallin found in a book he bought:
If you received a telegram from your college son reading "Dd upctd xpns hs rsn nd $50 mdtly" you would likely be convinced it was the latest collegiate version of "Pig Late: or some other kind of youthful double talk.
Actualy it would only be an abbreviated version of the English language disigned by a Yale electrical engineer to strip words of unnecessary letters to speed up communication.
The foregoing message would be translated by the telegrapy company to read: "Dad, unexpected expense has arise, need $50 immediately."
Allof which my simplify the sending of telegraphic messages, but it does not do anything simply...the problem...M-o-n-e-y!

So apparently, it has gone on forever!

stargazer said...

Oops, I should have edited first!

Mycket said...

Mom - so weird! Basically, we can blame all of this on Yale.

Maursupial said...

Amen, sister, amen.