Aug 7, 2009

Don't You Forget About Him

I was really upset last night when I heard the news of John Hughes' death. In fact, I am so upset at his passing, that it surprises me. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of all things 80s and have a prized collection of my favorite movie genre: "80s teenage angst movies." MOST of them were written, directed and/or produced by John Hughes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hughes_(director)#Filmography

My brothers and I must have watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off hundreds of times. When I was in college, I went through a patch where I watched The Breakfast Club EVERY day for at least a month. Several LDS guys I know have told me how much they LOVE Sixteen Candles because it was a PG movie that had frontal female nudity. One of my favorite movie kissing scenes is in Some Kind of Wonderful.

I absolutely loved his work. He helped to define the bulk of my emotional range (Yeah, it's not much, but there it is) and gave voice to so many, at the time, unexplainable and new frustrations. Even as I grew older, I still hung on to the realistic dialogue and basic adolescent truths that his movies held.

I read this post on another blog this morning. I was touched and comforted to know that it wasn't just me that felt moved and supported by his words and work and the kindness he showed to this girl just made me cry.

I think I feel a weekend movie marathon coming on. :(

5 comments:

Julie said...

My freshman year of college we wore out the tape of the kissing scene in Some kind of wonderful, to this day i say its one of the hottest scenes in a movie EVER!

Hayley's Comment said...

I am mourning his loss as well. He was able to really define teenagers and show how authorities and parents are some times ridiculous and sometimes have no clue what is going on. Also I had no idea he wrote Home Alone! One of my favorite Christmas movies of all time.

Susan said...

LOL on the female nudity. Love his work, too, although not as much as you do apparently :)

Susan said...

Okay, wait - I forgot that he directed HOME ALONE. We watch those movies ALL THE TIME - any time of year. They're my favorite Christmas movies after National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and the original Grinch. RIP, John Hughes.

Mycket said...

Susan - he also did National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!