As a group, we are intimidating (even aside from the fact we're all built like giant brick buildings- thankyouverymuch, Viking ancestry.) We're stubborn, we think a lot of inappropriate things are insanely funny, we're moody, we're competitive, we're sarcastic, we're definitely argumentative. It's a wonder that anything good can come out of getting involved with our craziness. A sheer miracle, I tell you.
But we're also incredibly loyal (especially to the BYU Cougars) and watch out for each other. Over the years, we had just accepted the insanity about each other and mostly tried to stay in our separate corners of the county, state, or country, as the case may be.
Then along comes Lori. She married my kid brother over 8 years ago. EIGHT YEARS! (The only recent picture I have of you right now is this one, sorry, L.) She is the epitome of patience and understanding and is such a wonderful mother to this little wildebeest and Allie. Lori is always conscious of people and their needs. She is also very fashionable and keeps a lovely home for her family. I look up to her a great deal.
And Allie, the chunky monkey, just got here. I adore her. LOOK. AT. THIS. FACE. How could you not be in love with her already? Get within 20 feet of me and I'll show you more pictures. I can't wait to see the changes she will bring about in all of us. And I am jealous of her wicked awesome hair.Then there is Chelsi, who is going to kill me for posting this photo, but I love it, as she is so quirky. She started dating another kid brother about 132 years ago. Even though it's not official yet (COME ON ALREADY!), she is family. She's so much fun to be around and is unabashedly loving, which is a lesson we all are learning from her. Most importantly, she has helped each of us get to know our brother better. And I am grateful.
I don't know if any one of these people know just how MUCH they are loved by the rest of us, The Certifiable Ones. Since they've all come along, we all get along so much more and enjoy spending more time together. I'm so grateful to these two amazing ladies and two adorable kiddies. Without them, we'd be a whole lot less tolerable as a group. But definitely me, in particular.
1 Time with my family is like dog years. 1 day feels like 7 days, etc
2 "Pickle Party" is a family term for BBQ or picnic. I don't know why and don't want to ask.
3 My family has come to know this as "pulling a Janna."
10 comments:
"We're stubborn, we think a lot of inappropriate things are insanely funny, we're moody, we're competitive, we're sarcastic, we're definitely argumentative."
That describes my family too (especially my little brothers), except perhaps moody. Case in point: We decided to play Pictionary over Christmas, and the one in-law other than my wife refused to play because of bad previous experiences. (Technically there are 2 in-laws other than my wife, but one refuses to be around my family and wasn't even at Christmas.) Then Ammon was teasing Miriam so much about a series of bad dice rolls that Miriam gave him a bloody lip. You are very good to appreciate good sister-in-laws and almost sister-in-laws.
What a great post! I get a kick out of your family through your stories over the years. I don't know these "new" additions, but I am wildly jealous of Allie's hair! SO CUTE IT HURTS. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post as many pictures of her as often as you want!
One in-law, who shall remain nameless (but I only have one) was apparently known to have once thrown the Risk board across the room after some mercilous taunting. I am not saying they didn't all deserve it, I am just saying...
And congrats to Miriam. I like your kid.
Mel - I have no idea where she gets all the curls. It's wonderfully out of control.
"She is also very fashionable and keeps a lovely home for her family."
And for my next fashion trend, I'm bringing back yoga pants and 6 year old crusty hoodies. Which I may or may not be wearing right now.
Thanks for the post; I ate up every word. It's a perfect example of why I love YOU and YOUR family so much!!!
Now. In my defense, it was a RISK ARMY, not the board, hurtled at Kendall's head. AND I'm pretty sure it was because he was beating me. And you thought you guys were competitive...
Good grief, what can I say in my defense! As much as I would like to pretend that we still have Currier&Ivies moments at Christmas, your "both barrels blazing" description is probably a little more accurate. It is pretty fun to have the new demonstions of the family at each event. It makes me excited for the future. And it Janna's defense (because she is not available to defend herself) she usually ended up crying because of something you said! How soon you forget.
Genealogy lesson: Grandma Johnson (Swedish) was a tiny petit woman. Grandma McLaughlin (German) was the Amazon. You can talk to Dad about the Crossley height.
I WANT TO BE A PART OF YOUR FAMILY. nO OFFENSE TO MY FAMILY..I THINK.
Mom - I can't wait for the day that both you and Janna realize that I tease because I love.
Where oh where did you get that picture?! Hmmm... I will get you back! Anyway, I love you and your family. Thank you so much. This was such a sweet post. I feel very much a part of your family and LOVE you all! It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't at least a little crazy when we're all together :)
Chels- YOU posted it on Twitter.
Post a Comment