Feb 17, 2010

Bad Mormon Manners: "Aloh.....nevermind."

Any LDS caucasian residing in the continental US who starts a sacrament meeting talk or testimony with a vigorous “Aloha!” and then demands the same response from the congregation will not be forgiven in this world, nor in the world to come.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Ooooh, I hate that.

My friend and I were discussing another kind of bad Mormon manners - how about asking professionals in your ward for FREE consultations, at church, no less? I've seen the endodontist in our ward doing exams in the hallways at church on more than one occasion. He's way too nice, IMHO.

Mycket said...

HAHHAAA! That's an excellent one! I'll save that one and write out a larger post on that. BTW, Susan, I hope you have a wonderul time this weekend!!

Maursupial said...

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. I can also concur with Susan. I can't count the number of people who show up on my dad's doorstep and demand he give them free veterinary service. Grrr!!

Hayley's Comment said...

I liked that you cleared up "in the continental U.S." I used to live in Hawaii and we did it then and then I moved to the continental U.S. and have never done it. As it should be.

L said...

You must have missed your youngest brother's homecoming talk. Ask him about it.

Mycket said...

L - Dallin served in Peru. What was he thinking?? He's getting a stern lecture.

Anonymous said...

In my defense let me tell you the story. Picture yourselves in a crowded sacrament hall. Pews were packed with old friends, old church leaders and a bajillion Rowley children. A 170 lbs Crossley boy takes the stand with sun kissed cheeks and a haircut that made him look like a newly enlisted marine. Silence takes the congregation as he mutters "I've wanted to do this for a long time," he takes a moment to gather himself. Then with the enthusiasm of school boy he yells out "ALOHA!" To which a confused audience, including the Stake President, returned with hesitation. "THANK YOU!" He said with an eternal gratitude of finally being understood "No one ever understand what that meant in Peru!"

In conclusion: SCOTT DARED ME TO!

stargazer said...

At this very minute,I think I would like to find a ward member who can give me some professional counseling. I am having a major attack of PTSD as I think back on that homecoming talk.

My BMM.....being in charge of a ward dinner and a half hour before it starts having someone call me and saying "I forgot to make the casserole, you didn't really need it did you?"

I still don't agree with the topic but I couldn't resist.

Mycket said...

OBVIOUSLY, missions are highly traumatic and scarring events.

Jillian said...

Amen. Forever and ever, amen.

Also- Gentlemen, just because you served on an island, you are home now. No one wants to see your pasty white legs in a lava-lava during sacrament meeting.