Aug 30, 2008

Totally awesome vacation: Nova Scotia! Day 3

Today we drove off of Prince Edward Island (well, the ferry took us) for the real driving part of the trip. Once we landed back on Nova Scotia, we drove 2 hours to the entry of Cape Breton Island. It's really a penninsula since they built an causeway (about as long as my driveway) connecting it to the rest of Nova Scotia. There are lots of driving paths that have been mapped out for the most incredible views. We took turns driving the 6 hour outer edge of the top of the island. The people there feel very connected to Scotland still and have a strong sense of identity. It was the only place in Canada where someone wasn't very nice to us. EVERY other single person we met was unbelievably nice and friendly.

We rented a full size car, a new Chysler Sebring, since we knew that we would be driving so much, but this car SUCKS. It doesn't have very much passenger room and is anything but a smooth ride. When I drive (which is usually the thing I do on these trips - I like having a 'thing that I do'), my knee is scrunched against the steering wheel and I cna't full extend my foot to the gas pedal. But, none of us like the car - for a myriad of reasons. Just a review in case you're interested. Gas is a little expensive, over $5/gallon, but it does seems to get decent gas mileage.

I can't even begin to explain the GORGEOUS views of Cape Breton and we did little else today other than ooooohhh and ahhhhh at all we saw. When we made it around the top of the island, we stayed in Sydney- a little town with absolutely nothing going on! We had a hard time finding anyone out. We settled on dinner in the hotel restaurant and requested several American songs from the guitarists playing, much to their chagrin. I'm not sure what the other Little Truckers did after that because I went upstairs and passed out - I was SO tired!

I took almost 200 photos today, so instead of just one picture, I am including several.


1 comment:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Hey Carren,

These pictures are beautiful, but they're not quite as beautiful as the slide show I found of you on the internet. (And no, I wasn't Googling your name.)

Alvin

P.S. In case you want to link to it in a future blog entry, here's the link:

http://www.cougarfan.com/article.asp?ArtID=48659&URL=http://photo.byu.edu/video.php?cat1=Slide%20Shows|cat2=Sports|cat3=2008|cat4=08FTB%20vs%20Washington