Jul 13, 2010

Top 5 (or 10): Favorite Apps

Someone asked me this week what puts a smile on my face every day. Without a doubt, it's my niece and nephew (how cute are they??!?). But if it was something, I would have to say my iPhone. I am slightly embarrassed because I never wanted to be that person. Especially since I am not particularly fond of being on the phone. But it is true. I HEART my iPhone.

I have known this was coming since the minute the very first iPhone was announced years ago. I made a paper 3-D replica of the iPhone and kept it on my desk for over almost 2 years, just waiting for the day when it got better reviews than the initial release and the $600 price tag dropped. This year, I set a goal for myself and the prize for good behavior was to finally get the 3GS iPhone in December. I have not been the same since.

The iPhone keeps me connected and informed on a level that continually blows my mind. I am much smarter than I used to be. I learn everything I want to know at the exact moment I want to know it. I think to myself, "Wouldn't it be great to know/do/see/listen to that thing RIGHT NOW?" and then I search the app store or iTunes and within a minute I am doing that very thing! If it magically produced food, it would be the perfect machine.

I sent the following to my brother in an effort to convert him (and it worked, by the way): "AT&T is awful. But the iPhone has changed my life. I am a better and much more interesting person because of it. Frankly, it should be integrated into the Gospel. I am better because I can track what I eat on the Dailyplate app, helping me lose weight. I can manage my finances on Mint, improve my word knowledge and use on Words with friends, take photos and share them on Dropbox or upload them to the web, read the scriptures, look up movie times, and book a restaurant with three taps of my finger, call a friend, buy and read a whole book, buy something on Amazon with two taps, update my blog, browse eBay, delete the third unheard message on my phone without having to listen to ANY of them, program my DVR, look up a recipe for dinner and then unwind with a game of skee-ball, pac-man or Rock Band or download a movie. And not once leave my couch. LIFE CHANGING."

So without further, embarrassing ado, here are my top 10 most-used third party apps in no particular order:

1) Verizon Fios DVR Manager
2) Hipstomatic
3) IMDB
4) Mobile RSS
5) Blogpress
6) Daily Plate
7) Grocery IQ
8) Kindle for iPhone
9) Dropbox
10) Photogene
If I could crank it up to 11, it would be Kayak.

11 comments:

Hayley's Comment said...

My dad seemed to be obsessed with it as well. As long as you are not substituting it for real life then I approve.

Mycket said...

...uhhhhh...

L said...

hehe...you ALL have your own Pepe's now.

Pops said...

I'm breaking my TWO year blogging silence just to handle L's comment. So I will direct my following comments to my Sister In-law.

As my siblings and I grew up, it was easy for us to pick on our poor father, who in hind sight should be looked towards as a electronic trail blazer. He owned an original Palm Pilot (which we nicknamed "Pepe") and the optional accessory cradle ("Pepe's bed"). We felt that Dad and Pepe were inseparable. They were always together. We teased him constantly about the Palm Pilot, but the moment Dad put Pepe down we would fight to see you could play one of the two very simple games installed on it. The two games were Solitaire, and my favorite, Snake. We were just jealous and couldn't wait for our opportunity to play with Pepe

So, I can totally understand how anyone from outside of the perceived circle (those being the ones with out Iphones) can sometimes feel left out. I used to be just like you. I remember feeling so full of envy, and misguide jealousy that I felt I had no choice but to try to tear down and derogate something beautiful just get a glimpse at the inside of the circle. So we know thats is only these feelings of envy, jealousy and the fear of being left out the circle that make you lash out.

But L, I'll be the first one to say... I forgive you. I know you dont understand right now, and thats OK. What i didnt understand back then was that owning an iphone is a huge life changing experience. And what I DO understand now is that some people are just not ready for the Iphone yet. Those people will be happy owning their small clamshell cell phones with limited capabilities, no applications and no internet service. Those are the people who dont even answer their phone when people call them, or answer voice mails. Those are the people who are still struggling to understand how to send, or respond to a text messages. Those are the people who are still excited that their phone can play the 8bit theme song to Nintendo's Ninja Gaiden, or Battle Toads.

But L, I'll also be the first to tell you ignorance in NOT bliss.

L, We love you. And when you're ready to change... I'll be more than happy to facetime with you.

Mycket said...

You post a comment for LORI? you don't even comment on the posts I write about YOU.

Pops said...

First off! Chellor has never told me about any blog post that involve me so blame her!

While I totally agree with your blog post, I have my own top 5 (or 10) list of Iphone Apps. In NO particular order

1.) Twitteralotor pro- I transitioned from blogging to tweeting. It simpler, less time consuming, which means I can "post" a tweet more often. This app allows me to send photos, videos, and follow several peoples twitter accounts and blogs from one source
2.) EYETV. I spend 80% of my life waiting for my shorter half. EyeTV allows my computer to be a DVR and watch live TV, record shows all on my Iphone
3.)Sportstacular. I use this app 30 times a day during football season. It gives game updates, team news, and predictions
4.) Camera + Pro, one of the nicest, and easiest to use camera and editing apps
5.)Flight Tracker Pro, If you ever travel, or have loved ones that travel this app is amazing. It syncs with your "trip it" account, and your iphone calender. this gives you alerts (like Carren arrives in 1 hr), and notifies you of any changes to your flight or garte changes)
6.)I have never been a big music lover but I do love the certain music apps like Shazam, and Pandora. Pandora plays through my bluetooth in my car giving me my own satellite radio.
7.)Dropbox and been great for school. loading papers, assignments, and syllabi
8) Goodreader- an amazingly powerful document tool. Allows easy managment of all your documents, and allows you to emails, and edit right from the app
9)Movies on Tap, I love movies and this is my favorite app for checking movie times, or watching trailors
10) Urbanspoon, I also love good food. So this app helps me find some of the best food around. I found my favorite taco shop, Thai restaurant, and bakery from this app.

Mycket said...

1) I read EVERY SINGLE one of your tweets. Each and every inappropriate rant about Apollo Ohno and his facial hair; every pervy picture. And you can't read the nice posts I write about you? Time to get an RSS app like Mobile RSS and READ MY BLOG.
2) Pepe wasn't the problem. The problem was that dad ignored us while he obsessed. Much like SOME people did during a recent family reunion.
3) Janna needs a new phone when she gets home. How much you wanna bet she's gonna get something else just to spite us?
4) I also heart Sportstacular, but I did not include seasonal apps, like ESPN Fantasy Football, which was ALWAYS on in season, but I haven't opened since I kicked ass and won my league.

Anonymous said...

I was told today that BYU will buy me a new cell phone. What should I get?
Do I dare enter the 21st century?
--GB

The Bjurstrom Family said...

I love my iPhone! I play words with friends all the time. My username is MomOfTwo. Love to play against you:)

stargazer said...

In 1842 Queen Victoria convinced Prince Albert to take his first train trip. It was not a good experience for either because the train traveled at a break neck speed of 20 miles an hour. I am sure that their kids enjoyed laughing at them.

I am sitting here with my antiquated laptop and my clam shell cell phone at my side getting a good chuckle as I read your comments. Because I know that no matter how "stone aged" you think we are, or you neglected you felt, or how advanced you think you have become........your kids are going to get a good laugh at your expense because they are going to think the same things of you. They will think you can't keep up with things going at "break neck speed". So go ahead, keep it up...just know that I and my "grandkids" are enjoying this....a lot!
PS: there is too much "noise" in this world. Turn everything off for a second, you might be surprised what you hear.

Freddy said...

Oh Crossley Family, I totally love you all!!!!! Even though I really don't know you other than through Carren. That was the best exchange ever!!!!!!