Mar 25, 2010

The G Spot. Er, I mean POST. Post. The G Post.


So here it is, the latest meme craze to sweep the blogosphere (actually, it's not. This started forever ago and I am just getting around to posting mine because I have nothing else to post.) Melissa started by posting 10 things she loved that started with the letter 'D.' Then Maurs posted about John Krasinski and all other things 'K', since that was the letter randomly assigned to her by Melissa. After begging and begging, I was assigned the letter 'G'; which, upon receiving, left me a little deflated, I am not going to lie. It's taken over a good year, but I finally came up with 10 things that I love that start with the letter 'G'.

I tried to use things that I really, really, really love, but you may not know about (with the first two being obvious exceptions). If you are interested in doing this, post a comment and I will randomly assign you a letter. Because we all know how I love telling people what to do (but couldn't think of how to start that with a G.)

1. Gridiron - I am not entirely sure how it started, my love of football. My family hasn't ever really been a sports family. I remember one time when my brothers got grounded from the TV and it just ended up being me and my mom watching the Super Bowl. I knew nothing about football in high school. And only a little in college. But I liked watching the games and somewhere along the way, I fell in love. L-O-V-E. Ultimately, I think it came from my grandma, who loved football and the Cougars. She used to plan her garden schedule around football (her fault for having a fall hobby, I say.) So while we lived far from each other and did not directly influence this love, it's definitely in the gene pool because of her.


2. GOP - I may be the only person left in America that is still a Republican. OK, maybe me, Dick Cheney and Hoss. While I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the party's approach to MANY MANY things, including regular non-zealot Christians, Glenn Beck and healthcare (we're not going there in this post and if you post anything on healthcare in the comments, I will delete it. Try me.)

I still hold true to the basics:

  • I believe the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.
  • I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
  • I believe free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
  • I believe government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.
  • I believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.
  • I believe the most effective, responsible and responsive government is the government closest to the people.
  • I believe Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.
  • I believe Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
3. Gratitude - I believe in showing gratitude. I am not perfect at it, but I love sending thank you notes and I can't tell you how much I appreciate getting them. Who doesn't want to know that something done, no matter how small, was appreciated? A post-it on the computer from the boss (my old boss was a pro at this. I even got birthday post-it notes), a quick email or the pièce de résistance, a card in the mail. For example, a dear friend sent me a note to thank me for attending his birthday party a few days earlier. It was a quick note. I am sure he sent it to everyone and he definitely didn't need to do it, but man, did it make me feel special! THAT is a classy guy.

4. Games, namely of the Wii variety - I got my Wii in October of 08 and instantly fell in love. When I was looking for this job, I played Rock Band like it was a part time job. Sadly, I even mentioned Rock Band twice in the first interview for this job (turned out OK though). I like playing board games (although sometimes not with my family) and iPhone games and trivia games and car games...etc.

I have been practicing my golf swing on the Wii. Yes, I know it's not the same, but I am practicing. I also have been thinking about getting the Wii Fit to supplement my increased exercising, but I am not sure if I am ready to give up my Rock Band yet.

5. Goldfish - I have had goldfish off and on for years. I should do a whole other post about my goldfish. I try and try. I buy books, tanks, rocks, high grade food, plants, filters, expensive fish, I clean their tanks and they still die. All the time. I have been known to kill them within hours. I can't figure out how to keep those puppies alive more than a few months. The best we ever did was when we lived in Decatur. We had goldfish that we ignored and they seemed to live for years.

I recently mentioned to someone that I love goldfish so much that I end up killing them. Their response: "I fear for your niece and nephew." Uhhhh, good point.

6. Google Reader - Oh man, was this a genius invention or what?? If it wasn't for google reader, I would never read anyone's blog or keep up with a lot of the topics I am interested in. Many of you know that "The Week" is my absolute favorite magazine of all time. Google Reader is like my daily version of "The Week" for my friends. Now, if they could only figure out how to add posts from those of you with private blogs!

7. Glass, as in Ira. - Court first made us listen to This American Life on a Little Trucker trip in Nova Scotia. I was instantly hooked. This program is so fascinating week after week, it blows my mind. They can make anyone's life, at any time, sound like the most interesting thing in the world.

My favorites thus far are: The Ghost of Bobby Dunbar (the one Court first made us listen to - she is, after all, a genealogist), Home Alone, 20 acts in 60 minutes and anytime they explain anything about the economy or finance because I am dumb in that area. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I do not, however, recommend This American Life the TV show as highly.


8. Gastronomy - Duh. This is a no-brainer. Good friends, great food. I am always so happy after spending an evening with friends at a table.









9. Growing up (although not necessarily acting like it.) - At (still) 32, I don't consider myself very grown-up at all. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I am not married, and let's face it, no one treats you like you're a grown-up unless you're married and/or have kids. NO ONE. However, over the past two years, I have been pretty proud of myself for making what I think to be 'grown-up' decisions:

I pushed forward with a career change. Moved into my very own apartment. Bought furniture that adults would buy (read: queen bed WITH headboard, large TV, new leather sofa, furniture and rugs - none of which came from IKEA), Left a job I hated, started a second career change in 11 months and try to be less stupid when it comes to dating men (which is harder than one would think.)

I feel in control of my life. I feel independent, relatively successful and happy. I feel grown-up happy and satisfied with my life. I am in control and at peace with where I am headed. Again, that's probably because I am not married yet. Now if only I can find someone with whom I can share all of this and would not actually disturb any of it.

10. Genuineness - (noun. The act of being genuine. Yeah. I had to look it up twice to make sure . It IS a real word.)

One of my favorite quotes is from Phillip Seymour Hoffman (because everything he does is genius) in the movie "Almost Famous": "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." THAT my dear friends is a nugget of wisdom for the ages.

No matter how dumb or unpopular whatever you do is; IT IS who you are, what you DO, that matters. My dumb homemade cards and scrapbooking, Hayley being GENUINELY excited about EVERYTHING, Sam's need to make test runs of EVERY SINGLE food he makes. It's weird, it's quirky. It's who they are and and why I love them. It's the little things that identify you and I know who you are.

If there is one truism I can say that I truly base my life around (aside from my religious beliefs), it's that I can't trust someone that changes who they are and what they believe in at the drop of a hat. Figure out what you want and stand up for it. And get away from me while you're figuring it out.

I know that we are all influenced by outside forces, but I like to think of myself more like the mountain at the side of the river, not so much the leaf in it. My friends and the people I surround myself with are not leafs, either. I can count on them from day to day, they don't change too much or suddenly. So give me Hoss's insane need to "teach me lessons" or Morris's rants about everything, and Tristan's love of all things red-neck. You may consider that boring, but to me, that makes authenticity. That is genuine.

Post a comment if you want a letter of your very own.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Sorry about the un-inspiring letter, but you did a great job! I loved reading this post.

Thoughts:
-- I LOVE This American Life. They broadcast it here on Friday nights at 8:00. That used to really irritate me because (thought I) who is home at 8:00 on a Friday??? Turns out, I am. And this show is one reason that not a bad thing. :)

-- Spider Solitare is the DEVIL. I just discovered it like, two days ago. My eyes are blurry and my back hurts from hunching over. ugh.

-- I love that you love that Hoss tries to teach you lessons. :) That's hilarious.

I could go on, but this is really cutting into my precious spider solitare time.

stargazer said...

Goodness gracious, that was a glorious expression of the grand workings of your great mind. To garner even a grain of your inner soul is gratifying and is a glimpse into the grandisoe thinking of a great genious. Thank you.

Thought: Give me a politician that will bring changes that I can believe in, not change the way I believe.

Mycket said...

Ha! Nice, mom! You didn't ask for one, but I am assigning you the letter A. Good luck.

Freddy said...

Melissa I would like to think I have taught her lessons but they have NEVER taken hold. Now that is what I love about Carren :)

Mycket said...

I think you could say the same thing to my mom.

ejnorton said...

I want to play! Give me a letter. :)

Mycket said...

Em - You get B! (NO, I am not going through the alphabet, I am using a random method of picking.)

L said...

Thank you for writing this! It really made me think, especially your thoughts about being genuine. I think I'm ready for my letter now.

Mycket said...

Thanks, L. I have realized that I should have added, maybe instead of games, "the Golden Girls" I watch it EVERY DAY.
Lori, you get the letter T.

Chellor said...

Wow good job on the "G"

Letter please!

Mycket said...

Chels - you get M!

Hayley's Comment said...

I want a letter! This was an awesome post and made me laugh out loud numerous times! Also, I loved your genuiness (sp) post, not just because it mentioned me, but it is so true. That is truly something that bothers me about certain people. Sincerity is key in my life, I don't change because I would fit in better. I simply am me and I'm okay with it.

Mycket said...

And I love you for it! You get the letter C!

Anonymous said...

Letter, por favor

Mycket said...

D, you get 'R'. It would be good if some of you guys posted your lists (besides mom of course.) ...Then again, it took over a year to do mine...

Grace Rich said...

It's so funny with the "you're not really grown up unless you're married" stigma. I asked my aunt if I could use their family's condo in St. George and she said even their own kids couldn't use it unless they were married (which they all were by the age of 23 so that wasn't really a problem). But, really, am I less responsible bc I don't have to take care of someone else? Let's be honest, how does being married qualify someone else as being more adult than you? LAME!

So, I'll take a letter. Can't promise it'll get done anytime soon but it'll be a good project to put in the pile.

Grace Rich said...

Yeah who said being married automatically makes you into an adult. I asked my aunt if I could use her family's condo in St. George and she said even her kids can't use it until they're married (which they all were in successive order by they time they were 23 so it's wasn't a problem). Maybe we'll learn one day when we get married and all of a sudden we're "adults" and we can be entrusted with things and condos and cabins.

I can't promise it'll get done soon, but I'd like a letter, please. Thanks!

Mycket said...

Well that's just ridiculous, rich! I gurantee that you are far more responsible than any married 23 year old!
You get the letter 'N'!