We went to the driving range last fall one night after work. It was FUN. Scott was a great, patient teacher and IMHO, he was pretty awesome at smacking the crap out of the balls. And based on my amateur status, that allows him to tell me what to do. I really like hitting stuff really hard. When I hit it...I am terrible. Really, really bad. More often than not, I would accidentally knock the ball off the platform and it would pathetically fall over the ledge to the lower level. I am sure the dude below loved it.
I wanted to go again, but then came winter. Then I fell down. And then snow. And snow. And snow. Now it's sunny! YIPPEE! This week, Scott forwarded an email from a really nice golf club about 45 minutes away saying that they were having free women's classes today, so I borrowed some of his clubs and went.
It was great. It was about two hours and was super informative. The teacher, John O'Leary was nice and his teaching was practical. There were about 30 beginners, so we divided into three stations and learned posture/grip, chipping and pitching. I get the chipping and pitching and could at least get the motion down, even though my aim is still totally out of control. And John said I had a good, consistent grip.

HOWEVER, they had a swing analysis with this camera and computer program, but I don't think they knew what to do with me. My posture is TERRIBLE. One coach said I need to flatten my back and another (Butch - I have never met anyone named Butch), said that I need to stick my butt out (we're not going there.) My shoulders and arms are stiff and I can't get my left arm to do what it's supposed to do, so it stops about 3/4 of the way through. Well, and then there's the boobs in the way... Also, I stand up when I try to hit the ball, which is why I often miss it all together. Finally, I am fairly certain I keep my eyes closed during the whole swing. It's a mess. I have a lot of work to do if I am going to make an effort to pick this up as a hobby. But even with all that, I am (so far) better at golf than at bowling.
So I have signed up for a 6 week women's class at the course in DC after work. It should help a lot and I am looking forward to spending more time outside in the lovely lovely spring, that's just around the corner.


6 comments:
Oh my, that is too funny! Golf IS hard. And I wish I could blame my crazy swing on boobs getting in the way. I've resorted to just driving the golf cart. It's safer for everyone that way.
Also, youtube Charles Barkley's golf swing. You can't be worse than that.
you should see Anne and I play, it is the sadest thing in the world. Just don't think about it, thinking messes everything up, it is a total mental game. We should go sometime :)
How Cool! you know if you came and visited we could go up to my Mom's "cabin" in the Mountains. She has a place on a golf course and a swimming pool. Free anytime!
HT - I AM coming to visit you. TWICE.
L - I agree his swings are weird, but isn't he supposed to be a good golfer? SO maybe that just works for him.
Hoss - I am not ready for the course yet, but will let you know.
I realize that I only know you as one of Maury's blogger friends....so I probably shouldn't even be commenting, but really?
"And John said I had a good, consistent grip."
That's what she said.
AH, this is why, even though I only know YOU as one of Maurs' blogging friends, I adore you.
Post a Comment