Jul 14, 2009

Project 3/50

So, I think it is time for my annual social crusade. You know me. You know that I am not apt to be involved in things like community and causes. But every so often, I am persuaded by the pinko-commie environment that currently surrounds me and BLAMO! I start caring.

I was thinking during my trip to MA last weekend (which I swear I am going to post as soon as I remember) that, generally, I am a big fan of locally owned businesses. Especially restaurants. We went to several locally owned places on our trips to Cape Ann and Cape Cod. Some were GREAT (Wild Goose Tavern.) Others not so much (Bob's Sub and Cone.)

So my social crusade this year is to actively and purposely support local businesses by spending more money at their establishments. Project 3/50 is a website that encourages just that. The idea is to commit $50 each month (total) to at least 3 locally owned businesses.
Their website mentions the following statistics, which I find staggering (especially since I buy EVERYTHING, including groceries, online): "If just half the employed U.S. population spent $50 each month in independently owned stores, their purchases would generate $42,629,700,000 in revenue. For every $100 spent in independently owned stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. In a national chain, only $43 stays here. Spend it online and nothing comes home."

So I am making this a new goal. $50 a month. 3 locally owned stores. Maybe that means I'll be picking up Q-tips and stuff at the drug store near work instead of at Target. Or maybe it means eating out one extra time a month because slamming the breaks on all spending stalls economic recovery. I'll definitely be going to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. My heck, most of us here on the mean streets of NoVa spend that much at The Dairy Godmother alone (although some customers are not as welcome.) P.S. The Dementor's Kiss and Banana Pudding are superfantastic!

Yes, it will not be as convenient. Around here, that usually means no parking. But that's good! We could all do with a little more walking anyway. But it's better to do something now than whining about it later if the Cheesetique closes it's doors (and I will have to impale myself on a loaf of deliciously crusty bread.) OH HEAVEN FORBID!

So you should think about doing this, too. Here are some ways to add in a few more bucks to your local economy:
1. Dine at local restaurants, not chains.
2. Instead of trips to WalMart once or twice a week, whittle it down to once or twice a month.
3. Watch movies at the little local theater.
4. Shop in 2nd hand bookstores as opposed to the big chains.
5. Buy fruit and veggies at the farmers market. Bonus: they taste better!
6. Buy bread and other delicious pastries at the local bakery.
7. Get take out from the local restaurants, not Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

Here are a few other websites to get you inspired and let me know if you make any changes in YOUR life! I'd love to hear about it!
http://www.backyardeconomics.com/ (Florida based, but principles still work)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That is awesome, Carren! Good luck with your goal! I try to shop local whenever I can. And let me tell you, once you get used to eating at home or in locally owned restaraunts, chain food (fast food and slower sit-down places included) tastes like crap...or salt, to be exact.

L said...

Good for you! All I have in my immediate vicinity is a handful of Latino markets. And frankly, they kind of scare me. I do want to use the farmer's market here more often. I love the produce.

L said...

Also, THANK YOU for the shirt and book for Jackson. He really wants to go to a beach now...

kimi + joe said...

Point taken. Dairy Godmother here we come!

Hayley's Comment said...

I'm already doing 4 of the 7. WooHoo! I'm kind of proud of myself and definitely proud of you for posting!