Jul 21, 2009

Man Down. Again.

Sunday evening, I was busy running around the house, cleaning and organizing my scrapbooking area. I have decided to sell of bunch of stuff I don't use anymore on eBay to fund my traveling lifestyle that will commence again this fall.

In this process, I ran upstairs to grab something and on the way back down managed to tumble down the stairs head and armpit first, crashing into the wall. I say armpit first because for some reason, it is especially painful. Go ahead and laugh, but I am telling you it super hurts.

Seeing as how I fall down often, I immediately hobbled over to the couch where I spent the next 8 hours elevating my leg, alternating between frozen peas and frozen corn, downing Aleve and watching The West Wing (again. I have seen all 7 seasons three times, but sometimes, I really miss those guys.) Almost immediately, a GIGANTIC welt formed on my shin. (See photo. I was trying to explain to a friend via text why I couldn't come over. Try to note the size of the welt. It was almost half an inch high and about 8" in diameter. It was a good'un.)
By Monday morning, it hurt a lot more and I was worried I had done some serious damage. So I hobbled over to Urgent Care. It turns out that I have a SLIGHT crack in my fibia (Tiny tiny. They didn't even put a cast on it. Just an ace bandage to keep compression on the swelling), bruised ribs (well, bruised everything, but the ribs and armpit hurt the most) and a cut on my head. Not too shabby for 5 steps and a wall, I think.

But that's not the most embarrassing part. When I went in for the x-ray, the technician asked if I had been there before. Of course I had, because as I said, I fall down a lot. But when he pulled up my records, he gasped. I have been there 6 TIMES. 6 times in 5 years. I am pretty sure I get my next X-ray for free. Here is the run-down:

June 2004: Just Bronchitis
June 2005: Broken right foot (flip-flop related)
August 2006: Pneumonia/Bronchitis
July 2007: Sprained left ankle (I was wearing flip-flops, but they were not to blame.)
July 2008: Pneumonia/Bronchitis
July 2009: Bone chip in right leg and bruised ribs (flip-flop related)

Hello! There is a very obvious pattern here and I was upset to learn of it. You would think that I would be giving up flip-flops for good after this, but NEVER, I say! NEVER! Also, I am a little relieved to know what's coming next summer, because you know how I like to plan ahead.

6 comments:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Yikes! Didn't you have "friends" at Macarthur that would poke you in class just to see you bruise? Still, even for a person that bruises easily, that's a doozie? Maybe you should spend your summers in a bubble.

The Spencers said...

Holy smokes, that's quite the record you have. Hopefully this will be the end of it. I got a chuckle about you falling ONLY BECAUSE I just did the same thing, but I had a baby in my arms. So I was trying to not fall on DJ and in the process killed both of my legs and I have huge bumps and bruises too. So I can sympathize. I too am clumsy and something is always happening to me. I blame it on my big feet!! Anyways, hope you start feeling better!

Mycket said...

Alvin - Why, yes. Yes, I did. Tyler Coventry. He also sat near me in class and would sit there poke me with his boney little 16 year old finger and say "poke, poke, poke..." Just to see how bruised I would get. Jerk is probably in jail now.
Janae - I have seen your feet, so that is a possibility. Thank goodness you and DJ are ok!

Julie said...

i too bruise like a summer fruit. I hope you are feeling better. Let
me know if i can do anything for you!

Emily N. said...

I knew there was a reason I avoided flip flops! Of course, I trip over everything anyway. And really, Carren, that track record is uncanny... Hope you heal quickly--at least in time for next summer's run in with the urgent care!

L said...

wow. i have fallen down the stairs at least FOUR times during this pregnancy. somehow, i still manage to come out of it with just scrapes and bruises on my knees. you fall once and bruise a rib and crack a fibia. it hardly seems fair. hope you get feeling better soon!