Dec 22, 2008

The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 10

My family has never been so big on traditions, we just can't seem to make things stick all the time, but I am all about it. I love traditions. I'm the one always forcing people to do things at set regular intervals (as if you already didn't know.)

At Christmas, Christmas Eve is the big hoopla at my house. Big fancy dinner, reading of the Christmas Story and one year we convinced our parents to let us open one gift on Christmas Eve, which has managed to stick around. The next morning, after opening presents, (now at 7am, since we're older), my mom makes orange rolls and we sit around the house in our pajamas the whole day eating leftovers, playing games and watching the movies we just got. It's fantastic.

But, by far, my favorite Christmas tradition in my family (and I hope to carry it to my future family) is that Christmas morning, as we all get up, before any of us goes to the tree, we gather around my parents bed and we pray as a family. It's always a prayer of gratitude and thankfulness and I am glad we do it.

What are your favorite traditions?

3 comments:

Freddy said...

My family is totally lame, we eat christmas dinner, where we guess the color of sweats my aunt will wear (either pink or blue), play the "blow out the candles game," put out the lumanaries, and hang our stockings (we take a picture of each of us). Christmas morning we wake up, fight over the wake up time, open gifts, burning the wrapping paper that then releases toxic fumes and kills the environment, my mom writes all of our gifts we recieved in her "journal," my dad makes breakfast and we then fight and break our toys the rest of the day

Mycket said...

whatev. I know you love it.

Tammy and Alvin said...

Our tradition as a young family is to listen to CC's Christmas CD's.

But we need a new tradition. We think we'll copy off of Freddy. We guess pink!