Jan 9, 2009

You know you're addicted to Diet Coke when...

  • When you are at a restaurant, ordering Diet Coke and the waiter/waitress says "Is Pepsi OK?" and your friends gasp in terror, afraid you're going to yell at the waiter/waitress or walk out. NO, it is NOT OK.
  • You buy your Diet Coke in 36 pack cases.
  • You keep a 12 pack in your office, a 12 pack in your car and at least one 12 pack in your fridge.
  • When, not having had a Diet Coke all day, you go out to lunch and while taking that first sip of Diet Coke (and a lime wedge, of course) you exclaim, with tears welling up in your eyes, "Sweet nectar of life!" Seriously. Tears.
  • You refer to your 8:30am Diet Coke as "Breakfast Coke."

  • Your pot smoking and alcoholic friends tell you that they're worried about your "problem."

  • You're afraid to take out the recycling because your recycling bin looks like this*: And you don't want the neighbors to judge you.
  • *Note: That is 9 months worth of Diet Coke. Not since last week. Actually, I will take it out this week. I will send something cool to the person who can guess the number of soda cans in there - or the closest approximation to it. Put your guess in the comments.

    11 comments:

    Tammy and Alvin said...

    540

    Freddy said...

    OH Carren, I love you so much!!!!! That is the best post ever!!!! I totally know what you are talking about. My mom does the same thing at resturants, she will get mad if they only have pepsi, she gives the sigh and shrugs her shoulders and gives in. I also agree with the not having soda all day and drinking it. I love the feeling of it going down my throat. It feels so good, one of the best feelings out there. Anyway, love the post!! my guess is 210

    Maursupial said...

    Oh Carren. I have done nearly all of those things. Although, I have decided that I'm not going to buy any for my house anymore, so that means if I want the sweet nectar of life I have to go out and get it. It's cut down my intake like you wouldn't believe. My recycling looks remarkably similar, by the way. My guess for the number is 350

    Malissa said...

    Ooooo. I was also going to guess around 540. How about 525. Anyways, love your post. Give yourself a pat on the back for being so organized about the recycling...so nicely contained. That would be a disaster at my house:)

    Melissa said...

    9 months of diet coke cans??? I'm assuming this container does not include cans consumed at the office or in transit to the office. I would think there would have to be at least 700 -- hell, that's less than 3 a day, and we're talking weekend consumption, too! It doesn't look like that container could hold 'em all but I don't care. I'm going with 700. I believe in you.

    Carren, you put our college Sodi Mama selves to shame! You have taken our addiction to a whole new level.

    I am happy to see that your diet coke obsession comes in cans. Any self-respecting diet coke drinker knows that plastic bottle diet coke tastes like crap, but will still do in a bind. The preferred vehicles of diet coke goodness are cans and fountains. Nothing beats a really good fountain diet coke. Ahhhhhh...that's refreshment!

    Mycket said...

    Correct, this does not count DC consumed at work, in the car or at other locations. Mostly this is weekend consumption as if I drink DC after 8pm, I am up all night.

    Melissa said...

    hmmmm...basically only weekend consumption?

    Okay, if allowed, I'm going to reduce my guess to 200, if that's allowed.

    Still a respectable number for weekend use!

    Mycket said...

    Sorry, Melis. We are playing by Price Is Right Rules.

    Melissa said...

    Then I stand by my 700 guess! I know you could do it...even if the proof isn't in the container! :)

    Mycket said...

    I'm leaving this post for HT, who has a bum computer and can't post. So she called to leave her guess: 113.

    Jillian said...

    I don't know you, but I feel like we are kindred spirits. Maury can attest to my gasping and eyerolling at the, "Is Pepsi okay?" question.

    I regularly stifle the urge to shout, "No heifer, Pepsi is not okay! Just bring plenty of lemons with is and I'll try to choke it down."

    After all, my mother taught me about restraint.