Jul 30, 2008

Wednesday?? Confession 22

Note: I copied a lot of this from an email I sent to some friends. That's how not well I am - I am too tired to blog.

So there is a reason I have been M.I.A. the past few weeks. I have been pretty sick. Last Sunday, when I should have been posting Sunday Confession 21, I wasn't feeling that well. Monday I had a fever. Tuesday, I left work after only an hour and a half. My temp was 104 and I went to the doctor. I had an ear infection, strep throat and a sinus infection. So I have spent the last 6 days lying in bed unable to eat, breath, hear well or see well, thanks to the crusties that have developed in my eyes. (Gross, but true.) I finally dragged myself to urgent care on Sunday. The first round of antibiotics from Tuesday got rid of the ear infection and strep throat, but the sinus infection is still raging and I've now developed bronchitis with the chest x-rays showing developing pneumonia. I am now on 5 drugs. 5! But I feel a billion times better already since Sunday morning. I can't hear out of my left ear still, but I am sitting upright and emailing, which is a huge improvement. :)

I've also watched ridiulous amount of bad TV, which has subtracted from my blogging time. I mean BAD TV. The sicker I got, the worse my choices were. Did I really need to watch Dances with Wolves at 2am? What about that 'Irish' Jared Leto movie? I mean he's hot, but he has NEVER been a good actor. Or Seasons 1 and 2 of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'? The answer to all of these is no. No, I did not need to cause myself additional pain and suffering in this way.

It all made me just miss my mom. I missed it when I was sick and she would give me ginger ale and yogurt or rent Popeye on Laser Disk - over and over again. Or sometimes she'd make Cream of Chicken soup, which was like liquid gold back then - I felt the way about Cream of Chicken soup back then, the way I feel about Butternut Squash soup now. And if you have ever had my Butternut Squash soup, you know what I am talking about. Hmm hmm, way freaking better than Campbells.

When I was really, really sick, mom would make me go sit in a hot bath to help me feel better, but when I came back, she changed the sheets on my bed. Fresh sheets for a sick kid are like magic. I felt the way about fresh sheets back then, the way I feel about Butternut Squash soup now. Really.

OK, anyway, back to my point. Moms just know how to take care of sick kids. They make you feel justified - like you aren't just being a big baby. And half the stress of being sick and 'being an adult on your own' is that you know when you feel better, you still have to worry about things like laundry or the fact that the kitchen will eventually need to be cleaned. That was never a concern when I lived with mom. What did your mom do for you when you were sick?

I miss my mom.

2 comments:

Maursupial said...

Being sick while living alone is the single most depressing thing ever. I must confess that once when I was sick I too watched the "Irish Jared Leto movie" That is one stinky bomb, isn't it? I love you! I'm glad you're back, but more importantly, I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

Susan said...

Isn't it funny that no matter how old we get we stil need our moms? That makes me feel good, especially when my kids aren't being very nice to me :)

I hope you feel better soon.