May 10, 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good) I have eczema now. I know that it doesn't seem like good news. But it IS because it means my awesome powers of deduction and research skills at WebMD.com are still spot on. Unfortunately, it ALSO means that Tristan has an ulcer and Hayley still does NOT have diabetes.

The bad) I have eczema now. This super sucks. There is no cure and they are not entirely sure what the triggers are, since it is different for each person. It can just pop up and then go away whenever it feels like. For now, I have a steroid cream that should help with the itching and I am supposed to stay out of the sun, not get hot and avoid stress. Perfect. (I am going to start italicizing my sarcasm.)

The ugly) I have eczema now. On. My. Face. I have glowing red, itchy, dry patches all over my face. AS IF I need one more thing to make the dating world more miserable. (see my photo of the day on my messed up eyelid.)

10 comments:

Malissa said...

Sorry about the eczema :( It's miserable.

On the bright side, my kids had it one summer on their legs and backs. The cream cleared it up and it HASN'T COME BACK(5 years clear).

I hope the cream works as well for you!

Jilly Bean said...

Carren! It's Jill from the Chem. Business Office... I've followed your blog (and LOVED it!) for awhile and just had to comment on this one...
As someone who's lived with eczema her whole life (29+ years)... I've tried just about everything. Email me if you want my favorite over the counter products to keep it at bay once the steorid creams have worked.
jill dot mcmullin at gmail

Mycket said...

JILL!! I had no idea you were out there lurking! How are you?? I just added you on facebook. I would love to catch up! And yes- I could use some advice!

Anonymous said...

Yes, eczema is the pits. Fortunately, mine is hidden--unless I wear shorts. I love you.
--GB

L said...

I'm sorry! I'm wondering if it is genetic. AJ has been getting some red patches on her face that are suspicious...

Mycket said...

L -
apparently it can run in families with histories of allergies. And we do. It is also more prone to happen in babies.

Unknown said...

My eczema really got a lot better after going to southern FL for the weekend. All that humidity. Maybe you should try that. Sit in the shade I guess. Unfortunately the one above my lip is getting more obvious as it heals. Super.

My doctor said to stop using the steriod cream once the bumps go away (it will still be red). Then use a cream (not lotion). She suggested either Cetaphil cream or Cerave cream. I finally found the Cerave cream at CVS by the face cleansers (?!?).

In other news...we're finally going to the Crime & Punishment Museum this Saturday!!

Hayley's Comment said...

I hope the medicine works! What is weird I've been allergic to everything lately, my eyelid (just one) is dry and flaky as are my armpits, except they are just red and itchy. Why do our bodies do this? Let me know how the meds work for you!

Naomi said...

Carren, I'm so glad that your powers of medical deduction are better than mine. Better eczema than, say, gonorrhea, right?

Mycket said...

Naomi- still one of my favorite stories of all time. It endears you to me forever!