May 12, 2009

My story (Colon) I am scared of sweat (Semi-Colon) The wonder that IS the YMCA.

Embarrassing Public Admission time: I have mild social anxiety that comes with an unhealthy dose of "Fear of Sweating in Public." This is a serious issue for me. Really. I HATE going anywhere hot. If I have to be outside when it's hot, I usually take something with me so I can discretely (or not so discretely - depending on whether or not you have ever noticed) mop up my forehead. Ask the Little Truckers. I refuse to plan vacations during summer. I have avoided parties, events, and trips if I even thought that I was going to get hot and, heaven forbid, sweat. It should be a 'normal' thing which does not bother me. But it isn't and it does, because I am certifiable, or whatever.

This has become more of an issue lately as I am trying to exercise more. In and of itself, wanting to exercise has always been a problem, mostly because I am super lazy and would rather take a nap. But also because the sweating thing causes problems at the gym. I have actually apologized to trainers for sweating while working with them. I seriously hate it.

A few weeks ago, Tristy mentioned something about a water aerobics class and AH-HA! So I found the local YMCA, (amazed that they really exist and are not just part of 1970s folklore) joined a Deep Water Aerobics Boot Camp and I am in love. It is AWESOME. My class meets three times a week. We use special ankle weights, large paddles attached to your feet and 'barbells' to increase resistance. It's me and a bunch of old ladies and they're all kicking my butt. Case in point: for the last 15 minutes of every class, we practice some yoga moves, designed to improve core strength and balance. However, these moves are done while standing on a pool noodle. A POOL NOODLE IN 9 FEET OF WATER. I have yet to be able to stand on my noodle at all. It comes flying out of the water like the Loch Alexandria Beastie. I have to stay away from the rest of the group as to prevent physical harm. It's like a Chris Farley movie in there. It's embarrassing.

BUT, no one notices if you break a sweat and everyone is so super nice. So, I have cancelled my membership to my other gym. There are tons of free classes, including a Zumba class, which I am eager to try, but recommend that no one look directly at me, or anyone else trying Zumba for the first time.

7 comments:

Maursupial said...

Yay you!! I also have a thing about sweating in public. I think it's a chubby girl thing for me or maybe flashbacks from high school/junior high when I'd still be red faced from P.E. two periods later.

I also need to exercize more (when my foot will allow me) so you've inspired me!!

Hayley's Comment said...

As I was reading I thought she should try swimming and water aerobics, which FYI I used to teach in my teen years. I hate heat as you well know, heck I left the East Coast because of their damn summers! I am proud of you and now just picture your instructor being me as a 17 year old. I loved the ladies! I'm going to go and try and find a place for me to partake of the noodle in the water!

Mycket said...

Maurs - you should talk to your doctor about water aerobics, as it causes NO pressure on your body. One lady in my class just had a knee replacement and another had a stroke last year. Yes, They are THAT old.
Hayley - You as a 17 yr old x 3. My instructor is maybe twice my age. FYI, I'll be bringing my noodle with me when we go on vacation. And face it - that is not why you left the East Coast. Although I <3 that you can comment now.

Freddy said...

I had been waiting for this post since you first told me about it. I am so happy for you friend. I hope it goes well. I did not know you hated to sweat but I think it is probably because we have sweated so much together. Remember the day you moved to DC, August, hot, high humidity = bad situation. Love ya my friend!!!!!

Mycket said...

Hoss - It wasn't that bad was it? It was only three trips down to the truck as I remember? The trip to Chevy's after is what I remember as painful...

Freddy said...

Well I cannot remember exactly, I just know we have sweated together. And Yes Chevys was the most painful part of that move. I have never been there since

Melissa said...

Sweat in DC? Sounds like that 4th of July I spent with you guys many eons ago. It was so freakin' hot!! UGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's cool you've found something you love to do. And as you already know, I love me some Zumba! I hope they don't have mirrors where you zumba. I am staunchy anti-mirror with zumba. You shouldn't watch anyone else and you definitely shouldn't watch yourself! I almost didn't go back!