May 26, 2009

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Last week, I had the chance to go to a 'fireside' (What we Mormons call a church meeting when it's not a church meeting) in Baltimore. This topic was on, of all things, faith AND football. So, heck yes, I was going to go!! Yeah, sometimes I can't get myself out of bed for 3pm Sunday church down the street, but I can get myself over to Baltimore on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, it was awesome. My friend Scott, who you may remember as my great football buddy, and I went. We met Court and her husband (who played football at Navy) there. The speakers were: (dramatic pause to increase excitement) Lavell Edwards (historic BYU and College Football Hall of Fame Coach), Andy Reid (Head Coach of the Philadelphia Eagles), and Ken Niumatalolo (The U.S. Naval Academy's Head Coach).

We were in the third row, dead center and I was grinning like an idiot the whole time and totally giddy. I hung on every word. It was a pleasure to hear from all three of them and learn how their faith has affected their lives and careers and coaching styles. I loved every single minute of it. Coach Edwards is absolutely amazing.

However, the best part for me was Andy Reid. I submitted a question ahead of time and he answered it, so that was neat. You could tell that he doesn't do this very much, but you could also tell that it was so heartfelt, and everything he said was the Gospel's truth. Literally and figuratively. He made a really funny comment about Terrell Owens, which I LOVED. And then he said something that cracked me and has to be the funniest thing I have ever heard:

"If Christ came down today and, you know, wanted to strap it on, he'd be a middle linebacker. He'd be the toughest guy on the field."

HAHHAAAA!!! It cracked me up because he didn't say it to be funny. Andy Reid REALLY and TRULY believes this and I totally love him for it.

We got a few photos in at the end. On the left, I am mentioning something to Andy Reid about my displeasure of the 2007 draft (I am such a dork. He thinks I am, too.) and on the right is Scott and I with Coach Edwards. It was AWESOME.

8 comments:

Maursupial said...

Oh my gosh, it's like they looked into your soul and then scheduled that fireside. You look absolutely giddy with delight in that second picture, and just looking at it made me miss you so much!!!!

Mycket said...

It was Maurs! I think either my Bishop or my mom called people and said "We need to get this girl to church more." And Ta-DA! It was super fantastic! (And yes, mom, I am going to church.)

L said...

Wow! I love, love, love the picture with Lavell. You all look so happy! Was this a one time thing, or do they do it often?

Mycket said...

I was SUPER happy. I imagined that I looked something like Squints Palledorous after he kissed Wendy Peffercorn.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/squints%20palledorous/lefthandedbass/squints.jpg

Emily N. said...

I know I don't post comments very often, but I want you to know that I do keep up faithfully on your happenings. In fact, your blog brings me so much joy every time I read it. :-) Your candor, voice, and, wit always keep me smiling--just about as much as you are in these photos! hee hee

Freddy said...

What a cool experience. I am sure you were in heaven!

Malissa said...

That's fantastic!!! What a great idea! That's so cool you were able to go and be in the THIRD row!! Definitely a highlight for the year, and the next one, and the next...

Anonymous said...

Saturday afternoon church.....which church do you go to?