While I was home for Grandma's funeral, I got to spend some quality time with my nephew. He'll be three in just a few weeks and I am going home again to see him for his birthday. There is no one else on earth that makes me so happy. He's one special little kid. He's SO smart, generally obedient, hilarious, and has a big heart. You can't help but love that cheesey little face.
Instead, I played He-man and watched Thundercats with my brothers. I tried to play Nintendo (until they wouldn't let me play anymore.) I wasn't super interested in Barbies. In fact, I remember taking off their clothes and making them kiss my Ken doll. That's perhaps another post.
The point is: I wanted a sister, but didn't really know what to do with one and then I moved out when she was 6. Now she's 20.
With my nephew, you can just play and yell and he thinks you're awesome. With a girl, if you play and yell, they cry. (Just ask my sister.) So I need advice. I don't want my new niece to hate me. Words of wisdom?
PS - go to my sister-in-law's new blog, admire the adorableness of my nephew and vote for Reagan as the new baby name. I think that this whole thing will be a lot easier for me if her name were Reagan.
9 comments:
Your so funny. I always laugh when Lori asks me to read your blogs. Please go to my blog and vote for how many times you should where a dress each week. Your choices are 3,4,5,6,7, or F all of the above. carreninpink.blogspot.com
My advice - just be yourself. She is extremely lucky to have a strong, independent Aunt like you in her life. You'll be a great example, and I'm sure she will adore you!
PS - Thanks for the plug for Reagan.
Longest Reach - Who the hell are you?
Thanks, L. I do get the added benefit of Janna being on a mission for 18 months of her life, so I need to use it while I can.
All I can say is that I have 7 nieces and only 3 nephews. I've had experience being an auntie to both and I can honestly say that there are wonderful things about each one. Not all little girls are super duper girly, and even the girliest among them like non girly things too.
You'll love her and she'll love you. You're her super cool single auntie. Seriously. You're going to love it.
don't you know who I am?
I think you are Scott or Dad.
Nieces are fun but in a different way. You know I totally love the booeys (aka my nieces and nephews) but each is so different it is great. Plus you can always find fun stuff to buy them no matter what the age or gender.
Congratulations on being an aunt again!!! How fun! I have to agree with Maursupial, there are varying degrees of girliness. And, she has an older brother so she will probably enjoy some of the boy things that he does...Thomas the Train, Star Wars, football, water fights, etc.
As for gifts to buy her, there are so many CUTE girl clothes and toys that aren't frilly and aren't pink or purple. So have a wonderful time shopping for presents and spending time with her.
You're so lucky to have a neice and a nephew!
Post a Comment