Oct 4, 2008

"You made every one of my dreams come true."

In case you haven't guessed by now or you haven't seen me ridiculously giddy in the past two days, here is the news: Last night was, without a doubt, one of the greatest nights of my life! I had the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream:

I went to the NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK CONCERT!! Not only did I go to the concert, but I had backstage passes and MET THEM! AAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAAAA!!!


Unless you personally have also had a soul-encompassing obsession for 20 years and had a chance to do something about it, then you really can't understand how mind-blowing this was for me. I am going to do my best, but I know that I can't adequately express to you just how excited, nervous and HUGE this was for me.

My friend Stephanie and I bought the tickets and backstage passes about 4 months ago, so it was all I could do not to send a mass email right then and there. But I knew that there were people out there (all of you, but especially my family) who were going to make fun of me. I am totally OK with you making fun of me. I own up to my love of NKOTB, but I wanted to FULLY enjoy this moment and let you make fun of me today, rather than rain on my parade yesterday. When I finally told my mom yesterday, I loved her immediate response: "I still hate 'Have a Funky, Funky Christmas." Um, wow Mom. I totally forgot about that song. I had apparently seared it into her memory 18 years ago. Uh...Sorry?

So, yesterday, I was pretty sure that, as the time grew closer, I was going to throw up. I could NOT stop giggling at work. I was very close to hyperventilating by the time that I got to the Verizon Center to meet up with Stephanie. There were about 200 people who were part of this dream of a lifetime. We had to wait outside for about an hour. During which time, the lady in front of me thought I was going to die because I was just so excited. Yes, I am ridiculous. I know this. While waiting outside, we saw Joe's wife and his little boy (who was ADORABLE).

It's so hard to explain what it's like to be 12 again. I LOVED NKOTB when I was younger and last night, it was like NOTHING had changed. I was just as giddy and frenzied. So were the other ladies around me. The only differences were that our voices were a little older (but still as loud) and in the words of Robo, their bodyguard (he's been with them since the beginning, I remember reading about him even back then.) "You people were crazy then, and you're crazy now - only you're now of legal drinking age." So it was quite possible that some of these people were a little more out of control than they were 20 years ago. There were definitely some that were a LOT more inappropriately dressed.


Once we got inside, they gave us gift bags, including a blanket (You can use it when you come stay with me!), a mug (I'm SO taking it to work) and some photos. I was just happy to be there, but gifts were cool, too! They had put us into groups of 10 to take a group photo with the guys. Steph and I were in one group, and the other ladies we were with were in other groups. When the guys entered the room, it was SO loud and I was flapping my hands around like I was in some sort epeletic fit. We had to wait at our tables until our groups were called, so we hadn't had a good look at them until we got closer. I was shaking so bad, I could barely work my camera (Which, as a side note, turned out not to matter as my camera battery died! How could I have not charged my battery?? I am a scrapbooker for heavens sake! I even bought an EXTRA memory card! That's why these pictures aren't that great - I took them with my phone. I will post more as soon as my friends send me theirs.)

My initial impression as I got closer to realizing every dream I had as a kid was this: They are all short. Jon is definitely the tallest, but not by much. He might be around my height. I also noticed that Jordan wasn't really talking to anyone and it was quite possible that Donnie was a little buzzed and/or a big perv. Maybe both.

And then it was time for my big moment! I walked towards Danny and nervously stuck out my hand and he threw his arms around me and gave me a hug. I said that I was glad to be there and he said "Thanks. Come on and meet the rest of the guys." But I didn't respond because at that point, I was already focused on Jonathan, who had always been my favorite. He was fixing something on his sleeve or watch and wasn't paying attention, so I was just watching him screaming at myself in my head: "YOU ARE ABOUT TO HUG JONATHAN KNIGHT! HE IS RIGHT THERE!" That thought was SO clear. He looked up and he smiled. We hugged and I said that I was so excited to meet him and he WHISPERED IN MY EAR: "It's good for us to meet you too."


You know those moments when everything is so much, there is so much stimulation going on, that you have to narrow it down to just one moment or feeling and everything else is fuzzy? I am not sure what the rest of me was doing, but my ear was on fire. Jonathan was whispering in my right ear and that was the only thing I was really aware of. I admit I haven't entirely washed it yet.

Donnie was next. A friend who was in a group ahead of us said that he was totally checking her out by holding her hands out away from her and looking her up and down. He made comments about her hair and how pretty she was. She was like "OK.....creepy. I'm married." When I got to him, my thoughts were (in this order): "You are Mark Wahlberg's brother! I watched that TV show you were in. (Boomtown). Tristan is going to be mad that I am not going to mention Donnie setting her up with Mark." (Sorry, Trist. I didn't. But take solace in the fact I thought about it.) He then hugged me and made "hmmm" noises while rubbing my back. I was like "Um, OK, let me go." Definitely a perv. I cruised through meeting Joe because I wanted everyone else in my group to meet them before we had to take the group photo.


I got to Jordan and he was trying to put on a pin that someone had given him. He was taking forever, so I just said "May I have a hug?", which he gave me. And then I stepped to the side so everyone else could get through the line, plus he was so stand-offish. So there I was - standing next to Jordan Knight. Saying nothing. AWWWKWARD. I asked him if this was ever overwhelming for him and he said "I am used to it." And then I kicked myself for not having anything interesting to say. But then I was more annoyed that he wasn't trying harder. I paid good money, dammit!

The rest of the people in my group were coming through the line and they were setting up for the group photo. It was starting to get backed up where I was because a lot of people wanted to stand next to Jordan and Joe. Then this HOSEBEAST jumped over and practically shoved me out of the photo. I was almost BEHIND Jordan, not standing next to any of the guys and I was starting to panic! Then Stephanie yells "Down there!" and I saw Jon and Danny all alone. So I ran in front of the camera and jumped between them just in time for the photo! I was so thrilled! Not only did I get to stand next to Jon, but it was just Danny, Jon and myself while the crowd was down at the other end. I was SO happy. In fact, I found this picture online! Someone else took a picture as I was running towards Jon. I think I am right behind the tall girl in the front of the picture on my way to the left side of the photo. My friend Steph is on the far right next to Jordan (the lady we're all going to hate for evermore is on the other side of Jordan.) I can't wait to see the real one in about 2 weeks!

After that, we had to sit back at our tables while the guys were supposed to come to each table to sign things and take individual photos. Danny and Joe were GREAT. They stopped and took pictures with everyone and chatted as long as they could. I had them sign my program. Jordan really was a jerk. He walked down the aisle, waved to everyone and took off. That was disappointing that he couldn't be bothered - even more so that he seemed so annoyed earlier. Jon and Donnie didn't come out at all. That kind of broke my heart, but it turned out that Jon was really sick (he coughed his way through the show) and Donnie probably found some skank ho. But it was still a great experience and was I just really glad to have been there.

After that portion ended, we grabbed some dinner and we went to our seats, which were on the 8th row! It was a GREAT view. A kid named Colby O'Donis opened. He's a Puerto Rican Justin Timberlake, apparently. He was cute and was a pretty good singer - very entertaining. Then Natasha Beddingfield came on. WOW. I have not been a huge fan, but the woman can SING. It was impressive.

After 20 minutes of ear splitting screaming, the show finally started! At this point, I WAS hyperventilating. I had to sit down and try to breathe normally. I never got to go to their concert when I was younger, so this was beyond amazing. People were wearing their old teeshirts and their buttons and waving their old pillow cases. It was totally fun to be there and they put on a GREAT show. They were very energetic - they loved performing. You could tell they were also having a blast. It was a GREAT feeling to be a part of that. It really was. On top of that, it was just a FUN, FUN show - fireworks, smoke machines, confetti cannons, etc for 2.5 hours. Of course, I knew all the words to every single song and screamed my heart out.

There were two particularly cool moments:
About half way through the show, they went back for a costume change, then suddenly they were in the middle of the main floor on a small rotating stage! They sang three of my favorite new songs from there. I liked that they did that. I'm sure that the people seated back there did too!
Shortly after that, after coming back up front, Jon took the jumbotron camera and zoomed in on fans going crazy. My friend Jen (who I sadly did not see at all that night) said that she saw me on the jumbotron, which was awesome (because Jon was filming, despite his unfortunate choices in apparel and political statements), but I didn't even see myself - probably because I was dancing around like an idiot.

They played:
Single

My Favorite Girl

You Got It (The Right Stuff)

Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)
/Valentine Girl Medley
Please Don't Go Girl

Grown Man
No More Games
If You Go Away

2 In The Morning
Dirty Dancing
Tonight

Twisted
Baby I Believe In You
Give It To You
(Jordan Solo)
Stay The Same
(Joey Solo)
Cover Girl
(Donnie Solo)
I'll Be Loving You (Forever)

Click Click Click
Summertime

ENCORE:
Step By Step

Hangin' Tough / We Will Rock You

During "I'll be Loving You", one of the people Steph knew had started an underground movement where some of the older fans who had stuck with them for 20+ years would be waving blue and white glow sticks. She even wrote a note and gave it to Danny to read before the show! So when they sang that song, suddenly there were dozens of glow sticks that come up out of nowhere right up near the stage. It was fun to be a part of that.


I really can't explain how great this was. It was an incredible feeling and SOOOO freaking loud. I hope to get photos soon (including one that actually has me in it!) and will post an album here. In case you are interested in listening to any of their new album, which I really like...but I could be biased...I've posted it on the music player to the right. My favorites are "Click, Click, Click" , "Twisted", "2am", "Summertime", and "Single". When I got home, I IM'd Steph asking if she wanted to go again in Atlantic City next month. It'd be worth it!

Ok, there you go. Go on ahead and make fun of me. I don't care if you do. Besides, I still can't hear very well anyway. IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS EVER.

12 comments:

Maursupial said...

Carren, I am truly truly thrilled for you. That is the most incredible concert experience I've ever heard about. I cried while I read this post because I was so happy for you!! I'm so glad that it was everything you hoped for and more. P.S. I alwasy thought Donnie was a perv. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Grace Rich said...

I made a comment on the ´taster´ for this one, but this is the one that craked me up!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome post Carren. I think I woke up Scott, I was laughing so hard. I'm really happy for you!

Pops said...

WAIT A MINUTE! There needs to be some clarification. Carren has implied that her family would be the ones who would make fun of her the most. See what Carren won't admit to are the years of torture she put her family through, and especially me!
In San Diego, I always had to go with her to the Thrifty grocery store to buy the "Bop" and "Teen Beat" magazines. While in the store she would look through one and have me scan through the others looking for picture of NKOTB.
Back at the house, I was always the DJ on the tape recorder as Carren and her friends performed their amazing rendition of "step by step" in the drive way. I most have said "Ok, rewind it" a thousand times.
Being from a larger family, there were plenty of hand-me-downs. Now because my brother Scott knew better then to wear Carren's old NKOTB t-shirts, they came to me.
The fact I was one of the only white kids in a predominate phillipeano second grade class, and the only thing I was wearing was a boy band team shirt, I kinda of stuck out plenty.
Because Carren was the oldest, and at the time the strongest she always got to watch what she wanted. This meant either recording NKOTB or re-watching hours of her VHS tapes of NKOTB.
Before we had a remote, I had to sit by the console TV cranking the dials around Saturday morning looking for their music videos. Once I found them I had to press and hold play and record. You have not idea how many times I had to watch "The right Stuff" music video. I developed a visceral hatred for Joey McIntyre because of that video.
Recently I over heard a conversation were the couple commented "Mark Wahlberg has come a long way since NKOTB." I just bit my tongue, knowing they meant Donnie Wahlberg. The couple continued, until I honestly SNAPPED! Turning to the couple, and in a single breathe of air I quite loudly named all 5 actual members of the band, and how that it was Donnie not Mark, and then listed both Brother's film and music careers.

Will her family make fun of her? Probably not, because we used our best material on her 20 years ago. But what we will do is send her the bill for our therapy sessions.

Mycket said...

Pops - It's the "Boy named Sue" principal. It made you "Hang Tough." So you can thank me for the gravel in your guts and the spit in your eye.

Melissa said...

Carren, I think Pops deserves a guest blog spot! The people want to hear the rest of the story!

Anyway, yes, we will make fun--and plenty of it--but this was an awesome post! I am so happy for you! I am so happy and impressed that you were still THIS excited about meeting them. I'm not sure I'd feel that way about any major star anymore and that's sad for me!

By the way, is that Danny or Jon that looks sick in the photos? The one with the Ed Grimley hair. He ain't looking so good. If he's the one that was sick that night, then yes, I would totally give him a pass on the smoozing.

Jordan is a dweeb. It's always "the cute one."

Mycket said...

Melissa -
Ed Grimley = Danny Wood. Bless his heart, he's still kind of a monkey boy.

Chellor said...

My favorite part about reading this post was that I could picture you saying everyword and reenacting every motion of that night. I'm sure it took you hours to write this through the periods of daydreaming and hyperventilating in between each sentance. You're awesome and I'm so happy for you!!!

Mycket said...

Chel -
Sadly, you're exactly right!

demps2127 said...

Hi!

Just had to leave a comment since I was the "partner in crime" that night... IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

We hope to do it again REAL SOON!

-Stephanie

jenmarcar said...

OMG! I am sooo jealous. Seriously. They're coming to Washington state in November and I really want to go but no one will go with me. Most of my friends around here are a few years older than me and just don't get how awesome this could be. They make fun of me instead. I sooooo get how great this was for you, Carren! And your post made me laugh so hard. I kept a small box of NKOTB memorabilia so I can show my daughter when she's a bit older how cool/lame I was when I was 12. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I may just have to venture to that concert on my own or drag my husband along!

Mycket said...

Jen - GO!! I met a lot of people that were there by themselves, but no one cared. They didn't! It's the time of your life!