I HATE IT (note use of capitals, bold and italics) when you can see yourself doing something or saying something or even becoming something that is not what you want and you are helpless to fight against it. I hate that it happens in slow motion even and you are completely aware of and kicking yourself for every single, painful, moment with thoughts like: "Oh, yes, here I am saying this thing out loud in front of someone who shouldn't have heard it." Doh! "Oh yes, here I am behaving like a 12 year-old whiner instead of a thirty-something adult." Crud! "Oh yes, here I am, in bondage, as I have sold my soul to a corporate behemoth." Blerg! It's like watching yourself drown.
Bear with me, we're now going to take a corresponding rant field trip. I would like you to read an article that perfectly displays what I am talking about. Everyone hold your buddy's hand, right click on this link and open it in a new window. Read it and return here to continue the rant. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23595533/?GT1=43001
Welcome back. Ok, now having read the article, don't you think that at some point over the past two years, this woman (or her boyfriend for crying out loud) would have thought: "Hey, maybe this thing has taken a turn for the worse and I don't like where this is headed."?? Shouldn't they have thought that?? Even if one or the both of them did think that, she just kept on sitting there and he just kept on letting her. Two years later, she is being surgically removed from the toilet seat.
So my point to all of this: I am starting to buy into the corporate kool-aid and I HATE it. Six months ago, I started my new job. I somehow feel like I should mark the months with a razor blade slices in my upper arm, like marks on a jail cell wall used to mark the days spent doing hard time…A little dramatic maybe, but I have nothing if not flair. :)
I've never really liked it my job, and especially hated the culture of corporate life vs. government life. I would rather have worked 11 hours a day at my old job for a lower salary and ate lunch at my desk than work 9 hours a day for a higher salary, an hour lunch away from my desk and overtime pay at my current job. And it had EVERYTHING to do with the culture. The people are cordial enough (although the higher-ups are prima donnas), the work is lighter, but I hated the environment. It's the stereotypical beige cube farm bureaucracy. And it's depressing. There's no passion, no grandeur of ideas, no sense that we were working for something greater than ourselves, no 'hometown service', no fun. I miss all of that desperately. But lately, I have started to come around to the idea that corporate life isn't so bad. And it makes me super sad to see myself becoming accustomed to this…watching myself drown.
I joined this particular company because I knew that it was the right decision at the time, and despite my complaining, I still think that I did make the right choice. It is a good company, they try to treat people right. I just don't like my JOB. It's cold, impersonal and I am not fully invested (to quote the BYU football team's motto for last year.) The hardest thing is I don't feel like myself. I don't feel like I am me. And I can't tell if that means that I defined myself too much by my previous job (a VERY real possibility) or I am just genuinely unhappy.
So, I am throwing this out there: Any advice? Thoughts? This is really to benefit you people, too…Eventually, I will be happier and less whiney (you can only hope, right?)
P.S. Toilet lady Mini-rant: The sheriff's name is WHIPPLE? Seriously? Sherriff Whipple is dealing with this woman who has to be surgically removed from a toilet and MSNBC has made no "Charmin" toilet paper references? Nobody remembers THE longest running product spokesman in advertising history? "Mr.Whipple," a fictional grocery store manager who told customers, "Don't squeeze the Charmin," was the best known product spokesperson ever. In the 70s he was voted the most recognized face in America. The possibilities for snarky humor with Sherriff Whipple and this woman seem endless. I am disappointed in MSNBC's writers. I should check Slate.com.
Bear with me, we're now going to take a corresponding rant field trip. I would like you to read an article that perfectly displays what I am talking about. Everyone hold your buddy's hand, right click on this link and open it in a new window. Read it and return here to continue the rant. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23595533/?GT1=43001
Welcome back. Ok, now having read the article, don't you think that at some point over the past two years, this woman (or her boyfriend for crying out loud) would have thought: "Hey, maybe this thing has taken a turn for the worse and I don't like where this is headed."?? Shouldn't they have thought that?? Even if one or the both of them did think that, she just kept on sitting there and he just kept on letting her. Two years later, she is being surgically removed from the toilet seat.
So my point to all of this: I am starting to buy into the corporate kool-aid and I HATE it. Six months ago, I started my new job. I somehow feel like I should mark the months with a razor blade slices in my upper arm, like marks on a jail cell wall used to mark the days spent doing hard time…A little dramatic maybe, but I have nothing if not flair. :)
I've never really liked it my job, and especially hated the culture of corporate life vs. government life. I would rather have worked 11 hours a day at my old job for a lower salary and ate lunch at my desk than work 9 hours a day for a higher salary, an hour lunch away from my desk and overtime pay at my current job. And it had EVERYTHING to do with the culture. The people are cordial enough (although the higher-ups are prima donnas), the work is lighter, but I hated the environment. It's the stereotypical beige cube farm bureaucracy. And it's depressing. There's no passion, no grandeur of ideas, no sense that we were working for something greater than ourselves, no 'hometown service', no fun. I miss all of that desperately. But lately, I have started to come around to the idea that corporate life isn't so bad. And it makes me super sad to see myself becoming accustomed to this…watching myself drown.
I joined this particular company because I knew that it was the right decision at the time, and despite my complaining, I still think that I did make the right choice. It is a good company, they try to treat people right. I just don't like my JOB. It's cold, impersonal and I am not fully invested (to quote the BYU football team's motto for last year.) The hardest thing is I don't feel like myself. I don't feel like I am me. And I can't tell if that means that I defined myself too much by my previous job (a VERY real possibility) or I am just genuinely unhappy.
So, I am throwing this out there: Any advice? Thoughts? This is really to benefit you people, too…Eventually, I will be happier and less whiney (you can only hope, right?)
P.S. Toilet lady Mini-rant: The sheriff's name is WHIPPLE? Seriously? Sherriff Whipple is dealing with this woman who has to be surgically removed from a toilet and MSNBC has made no "Charmin" toilet paper references? Nobody remembers THE longest running product spokesman in advertising history? "Mr.Whipple," a fictional grocery store manager who told customers, "Don't squeeze the Charmin," was the best known product spokesperson ever. In the 70s he was voted the most recognized face in America. The possibilities for snarky humor with Sherriff Whipple and this woman seem endless. I am disappointed in MSNBC's writers. I should check Slate.com.
7 comments:
Oh Carren,
I feel your pain. I am right now, as we speak, considering a career move that I know I should take, but that I know will relegate me to a cubicle. Maybe I'm reconsidering as we speak.
As for the Sherriff Whipple thing. I KNOW!! How could you resist some kind of comment on that??
Ha! I found you!!! Haven't heard form you since Stockton...
I hear you though. I live in a teeny tiny town in the middle of nowhere (literally), and small town atmosphere is getting to me and I HATE that. I don't mind small towns; I grew up in one but I hate the fact that I am turning in to something I'm not...
By the way, I'm jealous about your chance to go and see the NKOTB! I used to be their fan too... :)
Hope all is well with you!
ANNUKKA!!!! Holy cow! Great to hear from you! Maury and Melissa read my blog, too! I hope that you check out their blogs and see what they are up to. I posted something about you not too long ago - I hope you can find it. I tried to read your blog, but can't access. Please add me!
:) :) :)
I need you to send me an e-mail, so I can send you and invitation for the blog. (brookefamily4@gmail.com)
I found Maury in Facebook, and then Melissa through her, and you through her blog.
:) :) :)
I love you Carren but I think you know my comments on the subject as we have discussed them before. I won't bore the readers.
no, no, Hoss. Bore the readers. That's what blogs are there for.
That's a tough one, Carren.
A few thoughts:
~ why do you still think this was the right move for you if the only good thing you can say about your current situation is that the company treats its employees well? That's great, but why does that make it the right place for you?
~ maybe you did base too much of your identity on your last job...or maybe not. That's a tough one. I think it's good to be invested in your job, but at the same time, I don't want my job to be my life. I don't know where the line is. There were times in my career (a LOT of times) I desperately wanted a 9 to 5 job that I could walk away from at the end of the day. I wanted to show up, perform well, and go home. The only reason I'm not in one of those jobs is because I couldn't find one that matched my skill set and student loan requirements (and luckily, I found a job I love so I'm not constantly scanning the want ads anymore). We can definitely find meaning outside of work. I think it's important to work for an organization/corporation that is compatible with your values (i.e. I would not do 9 to 5 office work for the KKK simply because it was a good paying job. duh.), but I don't think I have to fulfill my life's purpose through my work.
Okay, that was a whoooole lotta rambling.
And man, that's pretty sad about the toilet seat lady. You should not let your soul's bum grow into the corporate toilet seat.
Also, you should probably not stay in a job you liken to a toilet seat.
Post a Comment