- I've got a new job
- I've got my own new apartment
- New Kids on the Block are reuniting
20 years later, I'm suddenly 11 again. Right now, I think that I may be more excited about #3 than the other two. They are going to all be on the Today Show this morning. Of course, I am planted in front of my TV right now. I still remember, very clearly, going to my friend Ebony Skinner's house in 6th grade and watching MTV and there was the video for "Please Don't Go, Girl." I was completely mesmerized. Back then, there hadn't been a 'boy band' like this since The Beatles 25 years earlier. Exciting times, back in 1988.
For 4 years, I taped the cartoons and my walls were completely wallpapered with posters from every teen magazine ever printed. I was, and still am, unapologetic for making my siblings, Dallin and Janna, sit through my NKOTB video EVERY DAY after school for 3 months. Dallin was 4 and I remember him asking me to stop, even then. Of course, I didn't. I started scrapbooking by putting together clips of articles about them. I collected everything. I still have dozens of pieces of memorabilia: trading cards, the dolls, videos, stickers, and pins that are the size of dinner plates. Even this morning, I've giggled through every NKOTB youtube video I've seen.
I was a Jonathan girl forever, but even back then, I knew he was the worst dancer. Maybe one of my best friends in 7th grade, Becky Jensen, had it right - Donnie is pretty hot now. I had a dream last night that I hung out with NKOTB (which also caused me to wake up at 5:30am and post this.) In the dream, I was personally responsible for convincing Danny that he should do the tour again. Apparently, it worked. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23938704/
10 comments:
I can't even construct a coherent comment right now because I'm laughing so hard!
And one other thing: Big shocker you were a Jonathan Girl. It's just like how you loved Lance Bass, NOT Justin Timberlake. You always go for the goofy ones!
Goofy/gay. I don't know what's wrong with me.
They're not goofy, they're nerdfoxes and I love them, too! I pretended not to like NKOTB, but I knew every word to every song and I bought the Hangin Tough casette in a convenience store in Pocahontas County
Amen. Thankyouverymuch, Spinster Girl.
I will continue to rock on, unabashed and unashamed. Check out the new and improved playlist.
Ok. I didn't pretend not to like them. I could do that for reals, but I understand your joy. I did have an ironic NKOTB party for my 19th birthday my freshman year at BYU. My sister sent me plates, hats, a book to read at the party. . . etc. A girl who lived downstairs came to my party and was SOOOOO excited that I too loved NKOTB. When I told her it was a joke and that I actually loathed them. She got actual tears in her eyes and said, "I can't believe you'd do something like this. What have NKOTB ever done to you?" and stormed out. Oh well. If only you'd been there, you could have soothed her injured feelings or commiserated.
Oh, and I once had a dream that Larry Mullen Jr and I were hanging out in front of my house. I told him that Pop sucked and he agreed with me. He told me that Bono and The Edge had forced him to record it. He then asked me for my number and told me he'd call me some time. Even though it was a dream, I knew he never would.
Ok, I dropped out of the NKOTB scene when I was 15, and not 19. So I probably would have been making fun of her, too. And you can take solace in the fact that Larry Mullen Jr has not aged well, Maurs.
The Edge is now the hottest one. (Again with the goofy/gay theme.)
Yeah, as soon as N'Sync came on the scene, you dropped NKOTB like a bad habit! You are so fickle! ;)
Teasing Carren is one of my most favoritest things ever and just when I think it can't get any funnier, she makes a NKOTB play list! I love it!!!
SG, you just called Jonathan a nerdfox. Does he really qualify? Lance, I can see it. He left boy band-dom for space flight. But Jonathan? I'm not convinced.
Donnie, however, is straight up fox.
I wonder if Marky Mark will agree to open for them...now that's a come-back I could get behind. (heehee, I said "Marky Mark" and "behind" in the same sentence!)
and that's one behind I can get behind!! Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Post a Comment