We started by going over to the South Side of Boston to hang with all the Southies at Castle Island and eat deliciously bad for you boardwalk food from Sully's. This was especially poigant for me. Because, as you all know, the New Kids on the Block are from South Boston (Dorchester) and April 24th justsohappenstobe New Kids on the Block Day! I kid you not, I have celebrated this day (at least in my heart) for 21 years. And here it was - April 24th and I was IN Southie! It was awesome! Plus Castle Island was so pretty and it was a gorgeous day.
Plymouth was about another 45 minutes towards the Cape. It was a super cute quaint town. The shops were fun, but MAN, was that rock disappointing. I had to take a picture with the regular camera, just so that it wouldn't be romantacized. So that's IT. That is what our country was built on. That there rock. Note the tennis ball for size reference.
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Carren! I'm glad you got to go on a fun trip. Enjoy your day and your cupcake!!
The cupcakes REALLY were that good and the rock REALLY was that small. Thanks for letting me celebrate with you Carren! You're the best!
Plymouth Rock has also become Plymouth Pebble because it was split into two halves while being moved in 1774, then 2/3rds of the top half (the half on display) has been broken off since then. The original Rock was estimated to weigh 20,000 pounds, which would have been more impressive. In any event, the Rock/Pebble is of dubious importance and authenticity, as the Pilgrims initially landed elsewhere before later moving to Plymouth, and the precise Rock was not identified as such until 120 years after the Pilgrims' arrival in Plymouth (based on oral tradition).
Post a Comment