Yesterday something bad happened at work and while I didn't know it right then, in the past 24 hours, it became the proverbial last straw.
This afternoon, I walked into my HR department and quit my job effective immediately.
I then packed up my belongings and walked out the door. Of course, on the way out, I took a picture of me flipping the bird to the gigantic logo on the building and texted it to some friends.
I am not going to lie - I am a little freaked out. The economy is in the tank and I just threw away a very high paying job. I am a little worried about the money that won't be coming in two weeks from now and the rent that will still be due two weeks from now. I hate that I feel like I am still letting someone down, that I gave up, that I am a failure. I hate that feeling, but not as much as I hated that job. I want to be committed and give something my all. I wasn't allowed to do that at this job. But you'd better believe I will find that in my next job.
But I'll tell you what I am not freaked out about. I am not too stressed about the money. I have a little bit of a safety net that is going to allow me time to find a good job. Even though I want to find that good job ASAP, so I don't have to spend any of that safety net, I do have that small luxury. Also, I have planned for at least 4 vacations or mini breaks in the next year and though I am currently unemployed, I am still going to take them. I hella deserve it. I am not worried that the people I've let down are people that love me. The people that love me are soooo wonderful, unconditionally supportive and excited for me. They believe I can do anything, and well...they must be right. This decision had to be made. Not only for me, but for them. We all deserve better than this.
Anyone who knows me knows how unhappy I have been. I have never liked this job. The closest I ever came was "Well, I think I can turn this around." That is no way to live. And tonight, for the first time in almost a year, I am starting to feel like myself again.
I'm back and I'm fierce!!
6 comments:
YEAH!!!! I'm so proud of you, and I want you to know that I admire your bravery and unwillingness to remain in a situation in which you are so unhappy. YEAH YOU!!!!!
YAHOO!!!!!! I am so happy for you. The world is your oyster. I will keep my eye open for any jobs.
Congrats on getting the hell out of that damn job!
HOLY CRAP! I AM TOTALLY OFFENDED THAT I DIDN'T RECEIVE THE BIRD FLIPPING TEXT! Sorry for the all caps i didn't realize! I am so excited for you, if you get bored come on over, i have nothing but free time.
I was trying not to offend! :) I'll send.
Yeah! I am part of the day club now! we'll definitely get together!
Congrats! That take a lot of courage to take that first step into turning things around.
As one who has gone semi-pro this past year doing job hunting for Mark, (yes, his company is going under...again. that's twice in less than 7 months) I think you've taken the right steps.
We found his current job through a recruiter who posted on Monster (8 weeks looking). But this time around, networking is what has gotten him his new offer. Friends of friends who know someone who's got an opening half way back across the country (4 weeks looking).
Good luck to you and just remember it's a numbers game, like sales. You have to put out so many applications to get a first interview, so many first interviews to get a second, etc. I'm sure you'll find something soon that you will LOVE!
Stay optimistic! We'll keep you in our prayers:)
Wow, Carren. I am proud of you, too. That could not have been an easy decision. Even though the resignation was unplanned, you have prepared well with savings and mad skillz (and a rubber finger). You'll find a job soon. I have no doubt about that. And bonus--you get to keep your soul!! Yahoo!
Post a Comment